FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Z5U - HDV Files Not Converting to ProRes with Log & Transfer in FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Singer
Sony Z5U - HDV Files Not Converting to ProRes with Log & Transfer in FCP7
on Nov 19, 2012 at 11:24:43 am

I'm shooting on a Sony Z5U with an MRC1 CF card reader for the first time. I downloaded the Sony HDV plugin for Final Cut 7, so I could use Log & Transfer to bring the HDV 1080 24P footage in as Apple ProRes 422.

Everything looks fine at first, but the files run through L&T very quickly, then show up in my FCP browser as HDV files. The Sony plugin target is set to ProRes 422 (the only option there) but the files haven't actually been converted at all. I double checked the "converted" files in Quicktime with movie inspector, and confirmed they are still HDV.

Strange. I can use an outside program to convert the footage to ProRes, but I'd like to use Log & Transfer if possible.

Any one else experience this issue or know how to address it?

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Ben Singer
Re: Sony Z5U - HDV Files Not Converting to ProRes with Log & Transfer in FCP7
on Nov 22, 2012 at 5:46:54 am

Thanks. However the link you sent me doesn't refer to my problem at all. In fact I haven't been able to find anyone dealing with this exact issue in any online forums or elsewhere.

I did however duplicate the problem using a totally different machine (also with FCP 7) so I believe the problem is either endemic to this Sony HDV Plugin OR it's something to do with the footage I shot, i.e. some settings on the camera I wasn't aware of. As far as I know (and movie inspector confirms it) I shot HDV in 1080 at 24p. So this is still a mystery to me.

For now I used MPEG Streamclip to flip all my M2T files to ProRes 422, though another side of me is considering just editing straight up in HDV to save on the four-fold increase in filesize ProRes causes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]