FORUMS: list search recent posts

file types/extension

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Pijnappel
file types/extension
on Nov 18, 2012 at 5:03:08 pm

Hello,
There are so an awful lot of filetypes/extensions in video-files, I'm lost in the dark.
Witch filetype is the best to save your final cut pro video's in when you want the best quality if size doesn't matter?
The same question it you want to use it on websites?
Thank you for your valuable help.
Groeten, John

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: file types/extension
on Nov 18, 2012 at 8:41:13 pm

There are actually two issues, the file type, which we call the container (things like .mov, .avi, etc) and the codec (the way the pictures are represented within the container).

The file type is the straightforward bit to advise on - FCP, being a native Apple product, works best with Quicktimes, i.e., files ending .mov

Codec is slightly more tricky. For quality keep the codec the same as it was edited with (you get some quality loss every time you process between different codecs). The disadvantages are size (editing codecs make large file sizes) and those files might not play on other computers because those other computers might not have the codec installed.

Web sites are harder to advise on as there are a handful of different files in use, so you need to speak to the website authors to see what they need. If in doubt, I have found that making a high res quicktime in H264 (picture) codec with the quality slider pushed up to the Best end and with .aac audio will usually be acceptable as that can be played by almost all computers and converted to whatever format a web designer needs without too much degradation.

Return to posts index

John Pijnappel
on Nov 18, 2012 at 9:07:09 pm

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for your fast reply, I'll do it that way.
By the way: Is that your arm that was broken? I do the same repairs on animals.
Thanks a lot, John

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Nov 19, 2012 at 5:48:19 am

That is indeed my arm. I can tell you when the weather changes without looking through a window, but most of the time you wouldn't notice anything unusual. Slightly lost the taste for very powerful motorcycles though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]