FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting Canon XL2 16:9 SD to iDVD Widescreen Project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Edwards
Exporting Canon XL2 16:9 SD to iDVD Widescreen Project
on Nov 18, 2012 at 5:40:20 am

Hi there,

I'm having some trouble getting iDVD to recognize the widescreen nature of my final export from FCP. I've exported the QT movie eight different ways to Sunday, but every time I drag it into the iDVD widescreen project, the image gets mashed into something different, horizontally squeezed. The best export I've got is a ProRes HQ version, yet in the Finder window, it doesn't list its dimensions or duration, unlike other versions. When dropped into the iDVD project, it gets squeezed and looks wrong.

My FCP timeline is a mix of 16:9 XL2 SD footage, some HD After Effects projects footage, and a few stills.

What am I missing here? Is it a pixel aspect ratio situation? Or something else I'm not thinking of?

I'm just hung up on this last step here. What do I have to do to get my vid to play in widescreen in the iDVD widescreen project?

Insights greatly appreciated,

-Steve

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
Re: Exporting Canon XL2 16:9 SD to iDVD Widescreen Project
on Nov 20, 2012 at 8:18:41 am

iLife doesn't acknowledge Final Cut Studio's anamorphic flags. It just works, right?

My advice is to use DVD Studio, but if you prefer iDVD you MUST have Quicktime 7 Pro. Quicktime 7, in conjunction with the workflow below, will allow you to author the DVD you're looking for.
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2179

Return to posts index

Steve Edwards
on Dec 2, 2012 at 12:32:54 pm

Thanks for the response Jeff.

I was committed to iDVD because I was using a particular template I had bought, so I was stuck with it and couldn't jump up to DVDSP.

Your link was really useful and helped me finally resolve my 'Where the heck is my QT Pro?' question. Installed it from the Snow Leopard disc. Even though I then had control over the aspect ratio, it still didn't look full 16:9 after I'd punched in the numbers. But it looks close enough.

Return to posts index

Jeff Meyer
on Dec 4, 2012 at 1:34:31 am

With the 853x480 QT Pro joke it will always look a bit soft on a computer, but when you burn it to a disc it should look fine. Glad you're more on track now!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]