FORUMS: list search recent posts

TIFF to Final Cut Gamma Shift (After Effects - Final Cut - Workflow)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack Jackson
TIFF to Final Cut Gamma Shift (After Effects - Final Cut - Workflow)
on Nov 16, 2012 at 4:38:36 pm

Hi there,

when working in After Effects I use the 16 bit space due to better results. To make sure that the following worksteps are nearly lossless i export my work as 16 bit TIFF Sequence (LZW Compression).

Correspondant I arrange multiple TIFF-Sequence-Shots in Final Cut to do the mastering. That's my workflow.

Due to the fact Final Cut Pro can't handle Image-Sequences directly and I don't want to flood the Interface by importing seperate Images for 1 frame - I use to take a step in between to Quicktime. Import the Image-Sequence and save it as a seperate File (save NOT export). The result is a movie-file, TIFF-Codec which can be handled.

Here's my problem:
When I import the TIFF-movs to Final Cut and let Final Cut decide how to handle the SequenceSettings, everything looks OK (Codec: TIFF). If I change the codec to a more common one like ProRes I got a huge gamma shift. Where does this come from and is there any possibility to change this?

When I import a StillImage of the Sequence I can handle how Final Cut interprets the Gamma (1.8 or 2.2.) and avoid the shift.

Is there any possibility to have a worklfow that includes AE > export as TIFF-Sequence > Mastering as another Codec in Final Cut and get an authentic result?

(Even checked the SequenceSettings for handling as YUV and interpreted the Whites as Superwhites - no Luck. My guess is, that the misinterpreation takes already place in Quicktime.)

Thank you for your responses,
Jack

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: TIFF to Final Cut Gamma Shift (After Effects - Final Cut - Workflow)
on Nov 16, 2012 at 6:41:44 pm

This workflow is too complicated and without much benefit.
FC do not support 16b RGB. In the best case, the color will be crunched to 8b and may be causing the Gamma shift as well.
The best you can export going from AE to FC is Prores444.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jack Jackson
on Nov 16, 2012 at 11:09:55 pm

The problem is that I need to render image-sequences from AE due to the fact that I can rerender certain parts of the sequence. I would hate to loose this advantage.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 17, 2012 at 1:47:53 am

[Jack Jackson] "The problem is that I need to render image-sequences from AE due to the fact that I can rerender certain parts of the sequence. I would hate to loose this adva"
You can also rerender and export as QT movies certain parts of the sequence.
Using Intraframe codecs you can export 1 frame long QT movies.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]