FORUMS: list search recent posts

P2 scanned media choking FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Laura Gruszczynski
P2 scanned media choking FCP 7
on Nov 16, 2012 at 3:00:46 pm

HI,
I recently shot an hour and a half long video on a Panasonic HVX 200 as one long take.
I logged the footage from the P2 cards into FCP.
It came in as 16 scanned media files.
I broke the footage into 4 smaller timelines (20-25 minutes each) edited a few things out and tried to export out a quicktime movie, not self contained.
The status bar is telling me one of these timelines is going to take 8 hours to export.
It appears that this footage is choking my system, for some reason.
What can I do? I don't have 32 hours to export these 4 movies.

I have a Mac Pro 2.66 ghz quad core 8BG RAM with a 3TB RAID. With an AJA kona lhe card.
Thanks!

Laura

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: P2 scanned media choking FCP 7
on Nov 16, 2012 at 4:05:46 pm

Something is not right with your workflow. Log and transfer footage. Drag clip in timeline. Make sure sequence settings match footage. FCP can do the for you automatically if set up correctly. You should not have to render anything. If it is one long clip, it should come in as one big clip not 16 files.

Export to QT Reference file should only take a few minutes.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Rainer Wirth
on Nov 16, 2012 at 5:12:46 pm

This happens sonetimes with P2. Internally p2 records one clip 4GB. These single clips are shown as one larger clip in the HVX200 and in FCP7. Sometimes it happens, that the one clip is shown as several 4GB clips. You can either put the clips together in the timeline, or you can choose "reconnect" in the HVX200. But you must be able to have the original P2 card in the panasonic camera to perform this option.

Rainer

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 16, 2012 at 6:09:58 pm

Sorry...STEVE is right. If these clips are SPANNED (not "scanned"), then when you Log and Transfer them into FCP, FCP will combine them as one clip...in the DVCPRO HD codec. Your timeline should also be DVCPRO HD and match the clip settings in every way. No rendering will be required.

How are you bringing the footage in? Using software to allow FCP to read MXF natively (Raylight, Calibrated, MXF4Mac)?

The clips shouldn't be coming in as separate 4GB files. FCP should be connecting them.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Laura Gruszczynski
on Nov 16, 2012 at 8:00:27 pm

Sorry, I meant "spanned"
I have a Panasonic AJ-PCD2 P2 card reader.
In the log and transfer window, they are showing up as separate 4 GB files.
I do this all the time but never this long of a shoot.

Laura

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]