FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow for Multiple Stills

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eddie Largo
Workflow for Multiple Stills
on Nov 15, 2012 at 1:53:41 pm

Hi-
I posted a while back to get some advice on a workflow and I'm going to put out my planned workflow to see if you think its going to work ok.

Project is 500 stills cut together to create a film, using dissolves, fades, sometimes zooms and pans on the images, multiple layers of audio.

Advice from Jerry Hofmann here was project settings:
Pro Res HQ with 1080 30p
Advice from Larry Jordan is to export the RAW images from photoshop as TIFF's at 1920 x 1080 x72dpi, or 4800 x 2700 x 72dpi for the 'moves', for import into FCP.

Any other settings recommended?

Problem I've found is the amount of rendering that needs to be done (i.e. each image indivdually). Anyone got a way around this?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Workflow for Multiple Stills
on Nov 15, 2012 at 5:20:04 pm

Prores 444 instead of HQ would maybe shrink files sizes and render times a bit.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 15, 2012 at 5:43:57 pm

I would recommend you to use PNG instead of TIFF. I don't know why but TIFF has given some times more problems. Probably because the many options on exporting.
If you go PNG, just make sure that FC don't interpret them as Interlaced.

[Eddie Largo] "4800 x 2700 x 72dpi for the 'moves', for import into FCP."
Yes, If you gonna pan zoom a lot the pictures.If you don't need to pan/zoom that much, keep the the smaller you can. If after you gonna need to downscale the still in FC because they are too big, you don't make a good business (poor downscaling in FC), so try to keep the still as smaller as possible. Just big enough to make the "moves" you want.

[Eddie Largo] "Problem I've found is the amount of rendering that needs to be done (i.e. each image indivdually). Anyone got a way around this?"
Rise the "Still Cache": System Settings > Memory&Cache.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 15, 2012 at 6:29:13 pm

Um, nobody yet knows what you're expected to DELIVER when the project is done. Answer that, and we can give you better answers.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Nov 16, 2012 at 4:19:11 am

I am making 2 assumptions, the first is that you need a 30 frame 1920x1080 HD master and that you are working on FCP7.

So based on that then :-

[Eddie Largo] "4800 x 2700 x 72dpi for the 'moves', for import into FCP."

I would not exceed 4000 pixels in any direction or you risk the annoying "out of memory" error. If you stick to a max of 3500 pixels in any direction you should be safe.

[Rafael Amador] "so try to keep the still as smaller as possible. Just big enough to make the "moves" you want."

This is good advice, rather than having any source still at exactly the right size give yourself a little flexibility to be able to move on anything.

Then on the ones that definately require much larger moves go for the 3500 max in any direction and you will have the most flexibility.

[Rafael Amador] "
I would recommend you to use PNG instead of TIFF. I don't know why but TIFF has given some times more problems. Probably because the many options on exporting."

PNG is good for all the general pictures, which I assume will be the majority, Tiffs are useful if you have a text graphic overlay. Just make the tiff on a transparent background and check preserve trsnsparencey on the export options side.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]