FORUMS: list search recent posts

Removing low hum audio on files in FCP 6 while preserving speech?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Heather Disco
Removing low hum audio on files in FCP 6 while preserving speech?
on Nov 15, 2012 at 4:59:30 am

Okay, I am editing a promo video in FCP 6 and the footage was recorded on a 5D Mark III with a Rode shotgun mic for audio, but the low hum of the coolers in the store is KILLING my audio. It's passable and everyone's voices are easily heard, but the low hum is quite distracting when cutting from the store footage to stuff we shot outdoors.

Here is a YouTube link to a couple clips of the worst audio hum:

And here is a DropBox link to that video file:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xdwn65rmgi5pa42/KORvPwziyg

Any help reducing the hum and preserving the speaking would be GREATLY appreciated. This is a no budget promo that is going online and on DVD to help promote a movie script. The DVD blanks are on their way here and I would love to get this audio problem worked on before burning anything. It doesn't need to be perfect but as close to perfect as anyone can help me get, I would really appreciate it.

This is my first post to CreativeCOW so I hope this is the correct place to post and the right way to do things.

Return to posts index

Heather Disco
Re: Removing low hum audio on files in FCP 6 while preserving speech?
on Nov 16, 2012 at 1:50:28 am

I have tried AUHiass filters but I can't seem to tweak them enough to make the speech not sound "tin-y"

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 16, 2012 at 2:12:54 am

The noise to signal ratio is poor plus the hum is fairly broadband. It really is a job for denoising. If you have iZotope RX2 then you will do a fairly good job of cleaning up. There will still be a difference between locations.

Sound Track Pro also has denoising so if that is all you have available then try that. A high pass filter will have to be set too high as yoyu have discovered. Sometime a parametric notch around the fundamental frequency can help.

Return to posts index

Heather Disco
on Nov 17, 2012 at 8:18:24 pm

I have not tried Izotope RX-2 but I do have Soundtrack Pro, I have never used it for anything other than cutting a background music file for promo videos so I have only ever created a sound not edited one.

To use Soundtrack Pro, will I have to take the audio files off the video, attempt a denoise and then have to re sync each and every clip? The promo video is a twelve minute "short film" that will be pitching a full length movie, and with the amount & types of cuts, re syncing the audio to each and every part will take a great amount of time.

You said "Sometimes a parametric notch around the fundamental frequency can help." Is this something in FCP? I haven't heard of this before and don't know how to access it.

Thank you for your response

Return to posts index

Harry Bromley-Davenport
on Nov 17, 2012 at 3:24:26 pm

Do you still need help with this? I have Izotope RX-2 Advanced which will help this a lot. Respond if you are still in trouble.

Harry.

Return to posts index

Heather Disco
on Nov 17, 2012 at 8:14:45 pm

Yes please. I did not see the previous comment, I didn't get an email notification about it like I did on my other post (?)

I am not familiar with Izotope RX-2 in the slightest, but I just looked it up and it looks spendy but there is a trial version; I may be able to use the full version to test it out - I will look into that more.

Did you happen to watch the clips and from there, determine that Izotope RX-2 would be the kind of thing I need? Sorry, audio was unfortunately never a strong point for me in film school.

Thanks so much for the response.

Return to posts index

Harry Bromley-Davenport
on Nov 17, 2012 at 8:35:36 pm

How long is the piece you need to have de-noised and what size is the audio file? Would you be able to upload it to Dropbox? If it is not too long or difficult I will do it for you. So why don't you upload one continuous file of the BAD AUDIO ONLY and I will give it a shot.

Harry.

Return to posts index

Heather Disco
on Nov 17, 2012 at 9:41:57 pm

Out of the 12 minute video, there are like ten little chunks of time where the audio is a bit of an issue, mostly because we shot on one camera so when we changed shooting angles to shoot the other part of the scene, the audio hum changed how it came through.

I can link you to the YouTube file to check out, I can make note in the description of all the spots that are an issue (though if you watch the whole thing it will probably be obvious) then let you determine whether you want to take a closer look. Then we can decide the best way to try and get the file to you (I could drop all the music audio and export one big audio file to re sync with the movie once done, but I will wait to worry on that until you decide whether you are interested.)

Do you have a YouTube username or email that I can use to link you to the private file? Thank you so much in advance for even considering helping me with this.

Return to posts index

Harry Bromley-Davenport
on Nov 17, 2012 at 9:51:37 pm

Send YouTube link and notes with timings of bad audio to: Xtro

H.

Return to posts index

Harry Bromley-Davenport
on Nov 17, 2012 at 9:52:48 pm

Sorry - to this address:

myxtrosequel@me.com

H

Return to posts index

Heather Disco
on Nov 17, 2012 at 9:55:42 pm

I added myxtrosequel@me.com to the list of authorized viewers of the file - it should email you with a link. I put all the bad audio parts / timings in the description and as I just learned, you can click on any of the times and it will jump the video to that part! Neat.

Okay, let me know if you need anything else. Also, enjoy the silly zombie film.

Return to posts index

Harry Bromley-Davenport
on Nov 17, 2012 at 9:59:25 pm

I am getting a server error when I try to pull up your video.

Try sending me an URL.

H.

Return to posts index

Heather Disco
on Nov 17, 2012 at 10:13:47 pm

Sent. Hope that works!

Return to posts index

Bryan Mailer
on Nov 17, 2012 at 9:18:36 pm

I don't know if Ms. Disco is still looking for answers, but at least count me as interested in following the discussion and learning more about scrubbing away noise with poor signal-to-noise ratios...

I face similar problems and would like to clean the audio mess up as much as possible.

Return to posts index

Heather Disco
on Nov 17, 2012 at 9:44:59 pm

Definitely still looking for answers so I hope you can get something out of this thread as well! I tried to follow some other forum posts with similar stuff but couldn't find anyone who was having this exact kind of problem so decided to post my particular issue!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]