FORUMS: list search recent posts

Printing to video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Rappold
Printing to video
on Nov 14, 2012 at 5:30:45 am

Its been a while since I needed to print a sequence to video using FCP7, and now I seem to be getting some part of the process wrong. I need to make an SD tape, so I have carefully set my sequence and Easy Set Up settings to NTSC and my device control setting to Firewire.

When my camera is connected, it will display whatever frame in my time line my player is currently on, but will not play along with the sequence when I press play. When I go to print to video, the audio plays through the camera and records onto the tape, but the images do not. I have tried the refresh AV device command several times, to no avail. I'm sure there is some setting I just have in the wrong position, but I cannot figure out what it might be. Do any jump out, based on my description?

-Sam Rappold

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Printing to video
on Nov 14, 2012 at 8:30:28 am

Print to video is really only intended to be used where there is no ability to output the sequence in a controlled way. So if you are using firewire then the best option is edit to tape.

Try setting up the edit to tape option via firewire and you should be in much better shape.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 14, 2012 at 9:16:55 am

[Neil Patience] "Print to video is really only intended to be used where there is no ability to output the sequence in a controlled way. So if you are using firewire then the best option is edit to tape."
I do not agree with you Neil.
Edit to to tape is for editing clip by clip (Assemble or Insert) as traditional tape to tape method.
To lie all the sequence at once on tape "Print to Tape" is to be used.

Which is your Sequence codec?
Beside the Device Control Preset, have you set things on the "A/V Device" Tab?
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Nov 14, 2012 at 9:23:11 am

Oh OK I have output hundreds of sequences across just about every tape format using edit to take with deck control.
If Sam is using firewire then it must be a DV/HDV based codec so why would this not work using a firewire connection ? Am I missing something ? Perhaps I am missing the point apologies for that.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 14, 2012 at 11:48:24 am

[Neil Patience] "Oh OK I have output hundreds of sequences across just about every tape format using edit to take with deck control."
Hi Neil,
Nothing to apologize for.
I don't mean that you can not do it by Edit to Tape, I mean that is easier by Print to Tape. Just put the desk to record, then the sequence to play.
No need of pre-striped tape, prerolls, etc.

[Neil Patience] "If Sam is using firewire then it must be a DV/HDV based codec so why would this not work using a firewire connection ?"
That's why I asking his sequence codec.
If he had his sequence codec and specs ready to play through FW, he would be able to watch the movie playing on camera, but he is getting just an still frame.
Any DV flavor and HDV should work. Also Prores because is FW supported and FC can transcode it on the fly.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Sam Rappold
on Nov 14, 2012 at 2:34:42 pm

The AV Device settings and sequence settings are all configured to NTSC. I'm honestly not sure if the codec is determined by the sequence settings, or if it is adjusted in another submenu.

Someone I know offline has suggested to me that the problem may be that the media I am trying to print is an HD .mov file, which I have brought into and SD sequence, re-scaled and re-rendered. This person suggests that the media is too large for the capacity of the deck. Might there be anything to this?

Also, I did consider using the edit to tape rather then print to video option, but one of the things I want to do as part of this print is add captions to the tape, and I don't thin there is an option for that in edit to tape.

-Sam Rappold

Return to posts index

Sam Rappold
on Nov 15, 2012 at 5:45:39 pm

Update:

I was ultimately able to solve this issue by creating a new sequence, with all NTSC settings and nesting the sequence that was giving me problems inside it. I still don't know which specific setting was off with that first sequence, but I'm happy to have found a work-around.

Thank you folks for your information and advice.

-Sam Rappold

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]