FORUMS: list search recent posts

dropframe OMF exporting

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aryn Leigh
dropframe OMF exporting
on Nov 13, 2012 at 7:21:04 pm

Hi there,

I'm working on a drop-frame timeline in FCP 7.0.3. We're working in DVC Pro 720p 59.94. I am exporting our audio for our sound mixer and when he brings it up in protools, he says that he receives everything in non-drop frame. I check everything upon export (crossfades, levels etc). Is there something that I'm missing?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: dropframe OMF exporting
on Nov 13, 2012 at 8:11:52 pm

Have THEM check everything on their end. I had a mixer tell me the same thing and it was their pilot error.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 13, 2012 at 10:24:38 pm

OMF doesn't support that frame rate as far as I know. It is an old Legacy format that was abandoned before such frame rates were available.

Try a copy the audio into a 29.97 sequence with drop frame and export the OMF

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 13, 2012 at 10:50:01 pm

Ooooo...59.94. Right. I've done 23.98 and 29.97, but not 59.94. Might have to test that.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Nov 14, 2012 at 6:52:25 pm

Heads up here: Pro Tools does not support 59.94 fps, at least in versions through 9.0.5. - highest is 30.0. Tell your audio mixer to import the OMF at native frame rate and once it's imported, switch frame rate to 29.97 DFTC. Should be OK from there. If there's still some issue, then go to your FCP sequence, make a COPY, remove the video, change the frame rate to 29.97, and re-export OMF. In fact, you're better off using Automatic Duck Pro Export FCP to make an AAF. It's just better.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 14, 2012 at 6:54:41 pm

It doesn't? Then how the hell are all these shows that are made for ABC, that wants 720p60 at 59.94 deliverables done? And how did I get a History Channel show delivered at 720p60 too?

I'm going to have to ask my mixer...

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Nov 14, 2012 at 7:05:30 pm

The AAF / OMF is 29.97 fps. Look at the decks too - NO 59.94 TC. It doesn't exist. In fact, it only exists in video editing programs. There is no SMPTE 59.94 time code on any professional deck.

The decks using 59.94 will make every 59.94 frame into a 29.97 "field" in the time code. You can do this yourself in FCP - in a 59.94 sequence, you go to the timecode window, right-click, and say use 30 frame code for 60.

So the solution I gave above should work. Import the OMF as native and then change the PT session setup to 29.97 DFTC. Frame lines will be redrawn, but PT doesn't care since in PT, audio DOESN'T have to lock to frame edges. In 29.97 fps, an audio region can land on (48000 samples per second / 29.97 frames per second) = 1601 different places within a frame. So the regions don't move, but you're now in 29.97 land.

Time is time. So as long as everything stays in sync, the audio doesn't care what the frame rate of the video is. Unless video was running higher than 1601 frames per second :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]