FORUMS: list search recent posts

re: AVI Footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Foulkrod
re: AVI Footage
on Nov 13, 2012 at 1:58:31 pm

Hello All,

My boss gave me some footage on a jump drive shot with a Flip camera. I believe its SD footage and in AVI format. I do have Flip4Mac installed & thought it would convert the files for me. I tried to look at the files in all 3 of my NLE Apps - Avid 6.5, FCP 7, & Premiere Pro CS6 & no dice. I can hear the audio, but no picture. I know I'll have to convert the footage to QT, but not sure how to proceed. I do have compressor, just need to know a bit more.

Thanks,

Steve

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: re: AVI Footage
on Nov 13, 2012 at 3:37:56 pm

[Steve Foulkrod] "My boss gave me some footage on a jump drive shot with a Flip camera. I believe its SD footage and in AVI format. I do have Flip4Mac installed & thought it would convert the files for me. "
Flip4mac has nothing to do with AVI files. Is to read/write WM (Window Media) stuff.

[Steve Foulkrod] "I tried to look at the files in all 3 of my NLE Apps - Avid 6.5, FCP 7, & Premiere Pro CS6 & no dice. I can hear the audio, but no picture. I know I'll have to convert the footage to QT, but not sure how to proceed. I do have compressor, just need to know a bit more."
Try installing Perian.
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Steve Foulkrod
on Nov 13, 2012 at 3:49:24 pm

Thanks for the advice. Ya know, I've tried Perian before, & it wreaked havoc on my Mac, & other apps. Can Compressor handle it?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 14, 2012 at 5:39:45 am

[Steve Foulkrod] "Thanks for the advice. Ya know, I've tried Perian before, & it wreaked havoc on my Mac, & other apps"
That's curious. Perian is the standard for working with many QT unsupported codecs and format and I haven't heard complains about causing problems.

[Steve Foulkrod] "Can Compressor handle it?"
The problem is that probably your AVI (that's just a container, some that's QT) has some codec not supported by QT so you need the correspondent QT component to be able to open that file. If you have no that component, no one QT based application (including Compressor) will be able to open the file. When you have the component installed, every QT based app will open it.
Perian install a library that allows to open almost everything in QT.
MPGStreamclip has also some of those components, so try MPGStreamclip and if you are no able to deal with those files, Perian is the only option I see.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Steve Foulkrod
on Nov 14, 2012 at 12:00:35 pm

Rafael, Thanks so much for the advice. I do have MPGStreamclip & will give that a shot.

Thanks,

Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]