FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Render Error: Insufficient Disk Space"

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aron Zana
"Render Error: Insufficient Disk Space"
on Nov 12, 2012 at 7:13:45 am

Hey,

I've searched around on this forum and I've seen that this error message has annoyed a lot of people but I haven't been able to find a solution to my specific problem.

I'm working on adding a music track to a short video clip in FCP. The video is a 1902 x 1080, H.264 MP4-file with the size 8.9 MB. When I'm trying to render the clip, I get the error message "Render Error: Insufficient Disk Space". My scratch disk is set to the computer HD (I'm using a Macbook Pro) which has 1 GB free disk space. I've trashed the FCP preferences and restarted but same problem.

I'd very much appreciate some help with this. Thanks!

Nizerachi YouTube Channel

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: "Render Error: Insufficient Disk Space"
on Nov 12, 2012 at 1:54:18 pm

That might be one of the many glitches that can happens when you try to edit an unsupported format (H264/MP4) in FC.

[Aron Zana] "My scratch disk is set to the computer HD..which has 1 GB free disk space. "
1GB?
You should be happy that you are able to open your computer and even open FC.
Just to open the system and the applications needs a certain amount of HD free space for what is called "Virtual memory". That's a kind of temporal memory where applications write data, and is necessary even if applications are in '"stand by". Have a look to the Activity Monitor.
Free HD space is what you need.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Aron Zana
on Nov 12, 2012 at 4:01:19 pm

I cleared up some space on the HD (got about 10 GB free now) and rendering works. I appreciate the help. Thanks.

>> Nizerachi YouTube Channel <<

Return to posts index

Brad Elliott
on Nov 12, 2012 at 3:20:40 pm

I would recommend keeping at at least 15-20% of your hard drive free at all times.

Drives that are less than 50% full will almost always run better than drives that are not. Drives that have less than 10% free will almost always have problems(including but not limited to running slower) outside of there isn't enough free space.

Return to posts index

Steven Cohen
on Nov 12, 2012 at 10:10:27 pm

Yes 1 GB is way to low for a scratch disk.
Also I've heard that it is not a good idea to render and edit to you computer HD.

Steve.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]