FORUMS: list search recent posts

Progressive footage interpreted as interlaced, Loss of quality?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Hooton
Progressive footage interpreted as interlaced, Loss of quality?
on Nov 11, 2012 at 3:13:28 pm

Hi,

I'm working with progressive footage and was wondering what the impact would be if I found that somewhere down my production line someone has treated the media as interlaced footage?

I've exported the final film as progressive but I suspect there has been a mistake somewhere. Would this mean I definitely lose quality or not?

Thanks in advance!

Ben

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Progressive footage interpreted as interlaced, Loss of quality?
on Nov 11, 2012 at 4:57:28 pm

Depends of what you mean by "treated".

Progressive footage will work without problem on any progressive or Interlaced sequence. Will keep looking progressive.
However Progressive footage shouldn't be "interpreted" (Browser) as Interlaced , because (except with Uncompressed footage), the chroma is codified different in Interlaced than in progressive stuff. That could lead to color issues.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Ben Hooton
on Nov 11, 2012 at 5:49:42 pm

Thanks for replying.

I'm not sure how it's been 'treated'. Basically it's coming out with a purple line at the top and bottom of the image when I encode it to Standard Def DVD. A fellow editor has suggested that this is to do with an interlacing issue.

All through my workflow I've kept things progressive but my only worry is it's been graded externally, and since it's come back it has this purple line when I encode it.

Now, I can zoom in 1% to hide the line, which isn't ideal but it's a workaround. However, will I have lost quality somewhere if for example the online person has exported as interlaced and I've put it into a progressive sequence and carried on as normal?

My concern I guess is less colour issues and more loss of information due to the interlaced fields (but then my knowledge is fuzzy in this area)

Hope this makes sense!

cheers

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 12, 2012 at 3:12:57 am

[Ben Hooton] "Now, I can zoom in 1% to hide the line, which isn't ideal but it's a workaround. However, will I have lost quality somewhere if for example the online person has exported as interlaced and I've put it into a progressive sequence and carried on as normal?"
At this stage would be difficult to find out if there has been any mistake, but don't do what you intend to do. Don't zoom the picture, that will degrade it a lot.
Just crop a little bit (0.5% or even less), to get rid of those purple lines.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]