FORUMS: list search recent posts

Documentary - DVX100B SD Footage mixed with EX-1 HD Material

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Engel
Documentary - DVX100B SD Footage mixed with EX-1 HD Material
on Nov 10, 2012 at 2:13:40 pm

I have a very general Question: I am editing a documentary, that was partially shot on Panasonic DVX100B in 25p in SD Pal, another part in HD with the SONY EX-1, some more footage in a small HD Prosumer mini Camcorder and in a GoPro 1.
It is a full 70-90min length documentary, that will be outputted for film festivals, DVD and maybe TV.

Now, I am in a dilema: Do I downgrade all the HD Footage to SD PAL and keep the images of the DVX100B nice and crisp (which is at least 40-50% of the footage), or I go for HD workspace and blow up the DVX footage, on the cost of its quality.

Any tips, experiences or recommendations considering this problem?
I have to ad, that a 50min version of this film was already part of a theatre show and there I downgraded all the footage to SD and it looked great. There was no EX1 footage yet at this time though.
You can see the trailer under:

Thanx a lot.

Greetings,

Sascha

Return to posts index

reid vanvoris
Re: Documentary - DVX100B SD Footage mixed with EX-1 HD Material
on Nov 10, 2012 at 3:25:38 pm

With such a high % of SD footage, I'd go with the down convert of the HD to SD, but the real question is what are the delivery requirement of those that are going to air/present the doc.

Above is my best suggestion, but if you get stuck with hd delivery requirements, look at red giant software's Instant HD $99: http://tinyurl.com/orbf28

Here are some tutorials on how to use it:
http://tinyurl.com/asprdeo

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Nov 10, 2012 at 4:32:40 pm

I have a friend who has Instant HD and I ran once some side by side tests: Upscaling with FCP and next to it a nested Seq upscaled with Instant HD. I love all the Red Giant products, but in this case, I can not see much of a difference between the two.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Nov 10, 2012 at 4:48:54 pm

Just figured out, that you can tweak it a lot. And then it seems to be much more responsive.
You know, what are the best settings to push it? Sharpness & Quality push to Max?
Downside it's a processor eating monster...will take ages to render.
Anybody has experience on Instant HD treated footage on a big screen?
Thanx.

Sascha

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]