FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bootleg: how can you tell?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cade Loven
Bootleg: how can you tell?
on Nov 10, 2012 at 6:02:22 am

I just purchased a used copy of Final Cut Pro Studio 3 (FCP7) and I noticed that the data side of the discs had a purple color -- This is the first time I have purchased anything for installation on an apple computer so I don't know if this is common for their software.

To the best of your knowledge, are these bootlegged discs?

Call me old fashioned, but I don't fee comfortable paying money for a bootlegged copy of software.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Bootleg: how can you tell?
on Nov 10, 2012 at 3:32:43 pm

I'd say so. Unless you buy from a reputable retailer, you are buying someone else's licensed copy.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Vic Noseworthy
on Nov 10, 2012 at 10:25:33 pm

Hey, Cade.
I, too, just received my FCS3 software from an e-bay retailer, and it installed fine. However, when I opened the program for the first time and got the registration panel, I filled out the info and clicked 'Send' and got an error message. So, I went to Apple's site and registered the software there (with the requisite serial number and packaging number). I did get a "Thank You" panel, indicating that it MAY have registered, but a message also said I would receive an e-mail from Apple to confirm registration. I didn't get the confirmation e-mail. So, I'm wondering if Apple simply don't send these confirmation e-mails anymore (since the product is EOL). Or, if the product simply would not register because it's a copy that's already been registered (or is otherwise bootleg).
I inquired with the vendor and he says that Apple no longer registers this software because it's EOL. This seems a bit odd, to me. Wouldn't Apple keep any serial numbers of unsold copies live for registration purposes? I paid $1197.00 US for the software. I was willing to do so because I use it for business; obviously, I want a legal/legit copy. (I'm sure I could've found a bootleg/illegal copy for a whole lot cheaper if I was willing to go that route!)
How is your software working? Any problem registering it with Apple?
Anyways, just saw your post and am wondering if we purchased from the same online vendor...
I'd love to hear about your experience to compare with mine, and perhaps determine if I (and you, too), in fact, got ripped off.
Thanks,
Vic

Return to posts index

Cade Loven
on Nov 12, 2012 at 12:10:48 am

Vic,

I'd love to post the seller's name, but I'm not sure that would be allowed, and I wouldn't want to unnecessarily slander the seller publicly. Is there a way to privately send a message to you with his seller name?

Return to posts index

Vic Noseworthy
on Nov 12, 2012 at 3:59:28 am

Hey, Cade.
Yeah, I do understand about posting names, etc. Did you have any problem registering your software with Apple?
Thanks,
Vic

Return to posts index

Cade Loven
on Nov 12, 2012 at 5:23:48 am

I haven't yet made the attempt-- it had already been registered. It is my understanding that you can't "un-register" software when you re-sell it to someone?

Return to posts index

Vic Noseworthy
on Nov 12, 2012 at 4:12:54 pm

Actually, Cade, I believe it can be unregistered (or de-registered) so that it can be re-sold. I can't imagine spending a lot of money on software and not officially registering it. But, maybe that's just me. :^)
If you try to register yours, please let know how that goes...

Return to posts index

Cade Loven
on Nov 12, 2012 at 12:13:07 am

I called the seller and he said the purple color has to do with the discs being a dual-layered? Does that sound right?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]