FORUMS: list search recent posts

Downgrading to SD from FCP for DVD studio Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leon Willis
Downgrading to SD from FCP for DVD studio Pro
on Nov 9, 2012 at 7:10:35 pm

HI,
I am export an HD 90min 3 camera concert from FCP to Compressor to build in Dvd STudio Pro on a Dual Layer Disk. It needs to be in SD. WIll I loose quality if I downgrade to SD on final cut export - or - is it better to export from final cut in HD and then downgrade to SD from Compressor.
Hope this makes sense.
Thanks in advance
L

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Downgrading to SD from FCP for DVD studio Pro
on Nov 9, 2012 at 7:34:05 pm

Keep an HD master for safety's sake. You never know when it will be re-tasked for some other purpose.. Therefore, you'll want to cut in HD. You'll also want to export a self-contained file of the completed edit.

How about getting from HD, which is 16x9, to SD, which is 4x3? You have a two options:
  • Make a 720x480 4x3 FCP edit timeline, put the HD file in it, and scale it to cut off the sides of the HD 16x9 video, and make a 4x3 SD DVD.
  • Make a 16x9 DVD, and let the DVD player letterbox the 16x9 video for you on SD monitors.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Leon Willis
on Nov 9, 2012 at 10:21:43 pm

Great Thanks Dave. I have used 'send to compressor' option from FCP. Ive broken it into 9 sections so I can send each separately to keep file sizes down. From compressor I am creating both SD dvd files & HD for safety!
Thanks again.
L

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 9, 2012 at 10:26:48 pm

Um, if you're worrying about file size, you probably need more storage. I'd export a self-contained QT of the final edit in ProRes 422. Then I'd use it to make the files for DVD.

And while others may like it, I'm not convinced that Send To Compressor works all that well.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Leon Willis
on Nov 9, 2012 at 10:46:36 pm

Ok thanks. I am ok for storage, I thought the computer prefers smaller files, this is the only reason I was opting for 9 parts. I will go for your option, as your right 'send to' doesn't seem to be doing much.
Cheers
L

Return to posts index

Francisco Baudet
on May 26, 2013 at 2:30:10 pm

Hi Dave.

Despite all settings and using proper videos,
DVD Studio Pro only generates HVDVD_TS files
and never Video_TS files.

Would you have a solution ?

Many thanks.