FORUMS: list search recent posts

best resolution for greenscreen compositing in FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steven Austin
best resolution for greenscreen compositing in FCP7
on Nov 9, 2012 at 6:56:26 pm

Hello. A new gig requires that I composite using Keylight for FCP 7. The show is being shot on a Sony FS-700U, 1920 x 1080 at 29.97. I am using Pro Res as my editing & mastering codec standard, and transcoding all B-Roll to PR422.

Though I've been compositing in PR422 I've been advised that I'd get cleaner keys if I composited in PRHQ and then transcoded those baked QT files to PR422 for editing.

The show is headed for broadcast, Internet and phones. For the time being I will not be compositing in AE. Can anyone confirm if PRHQ is the way to go? I don't want to generate unnecessarily large files. Thanks!

quad core tower
2.66 gHz
10,000 rpm raptor drive
4 TB RAID
radeon ati 5770

"In modern action films, the only people who work up a sweat are the editors." -- Roger Ebert

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: best resolution for greenscreen compositing in FCP7
on Nov 9, 2012 at 7:47:29 pm

[Steven Austin] " I've been advised that I'd get cleaner keys if I composited in PRHQ and then transcoded those baked QT files to PR422 for editing."

Sorry, no. the mpeg4/h.264 files recorded by that particular camera won't benefit from HQ. You will gain no extra image quality. You WILL gain larger file sizes, however. If that's your wish, use it.

Personally, I would stick with ProRes 422.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]