FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 Strange Picture Lag Sync Weirdness!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John McKeown
FCP 7 Strange Picture Lag Sync Weirdness!
on Nov 9, 2012 at 2:30:24 pm

Hi all

I recently went over to Final Cut Studio 3 from FCS2 and am having a nightmare doing a basic edit.

I'm trying to cut pictures to music but there's this strange problem where edits I've synced with the beat in the waveform, suddenly look out of sync and then the playhead and image in the canvas slow down while the video and audio sort themselves out and find sync together.

When I stop and replay from the beginning of the sequence, they're out of sync again before it decides to catch up. If I stop and restart very quickly with the spacebar, the sequence MIGHT play in sync.

Whereas normally when you stop the sequence with spacebar on the beat of the music, the playhead will be more or less bang on the beat - not now, as the playhead reads like it's a quarter way into the next bar.

It's making cutting a short sequence very time consuming and frustrating. It looks like a graphical interface issue and not an audio settings problem as I've seen on other posts.

My hardware is old now (Mac Pro 2,1 - OS X 10.7.5) but it was handing full HD and everything else just fine until I went to FCP 7.

Can anyone please shed any light on this bizarre problem?

Many Thanks

John McKeown

John McKeown
Lakes Creative Limited
http://www.lakescreative.tv

MAC OS X 10.4.1.1, Mac Pro 2 x 3 GHZ Quad-core Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM, Final Cut Studio 2.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: FCP 7 Strange Picture Lag Sync Weirdness!
on Nov 9, 2012 at 5:41:38 pm

Video codec is? Sequence settings? FCP friendly, I hope.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

John McKeown
on Nov 12, 2012 at 2:07:10 pm

Hi Steve

I've been shooting AVC-Intra 100M 1080p 25 and my sequence on my current job is Apple ProRes 422 LT, 1920 x 1080.

The same problem occurs when I open up FCP6 projects that have been transcoded to ProRes footage in a ProRes sequence as before and even a DV PAL project with matching sequence and clip properties. You get this strange moment where the playhead and picture slow down and allow the picture to sync itself to the audio.

All the sequence audio rates and those related to the clips are 48khz but background music files tend to be 44.1khz. I'm not sure whether this could cause a problem, however it was never an issue in FCP6.

Regards

John McKeown
Lakes Creative Limited

MAC OS X 10.4.1.1, Mac Pro 2 x 3 GHZ Quad-core Intel Xeon, 8GB RAM, Final Cut Studio 2.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 12, 2012 at 8:21:10 pm

Convert audio to 48khz before editing- FCP doesn't handle mixed sample rates. It has always been thus. Bit depth can be 16 or 24 bit.

Never use MP3 or other data compressed audio. Convert to wave or AIF. Here ends the mantra.

Return to posts index

John McKeown
on Nov 12, 2012 at 10:20:03 pm

Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply.

I always convert to AIFF before using audio in a sequence but maybe I need to ensure it's 48khz.

What is strange however is that I've never had this happen before in Final Cut 6 and doesn't explain why a DV project that has been with me since Final Cut 5 would start acting up as I described. This is especially frustrating as it's a 60 minute music DVD.

I'll resample the audio when I get a chance and try it and maybe I should grab a screen recording to demonstrate what is going on.

Thanks

John McKeown
Lakes Creative Limited

Return to posts index

John McKeown
on Nov 15, 2012 at 5:45:15 pm

Having chatted to an engineer the other day, he felt that it is probably my CPU struggling that is the root of the problem.

Let's hope they get the new Mac Pro out soon.

John McKeown
Lakes Creative Limited

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]