FORUMS: list search recent posts

Feature Documentary Process

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Simpson
Feature Documentary Process
on Nov 8, 2012 at 9:07:33 pm

Hi everyone. I'm about to edit my first feature-length documentary. I've got footage on numerous formats from Beta SX, XD disc, Film, and H.264 Movs which i've gathered over years and years.

I thought to get some advice on best process for dealing with all of this. My initial thought is get everything into FCP and export each IV etc in whatever default it wants to be as master files. Then turn each of them into a prores proxy for editing, finally batching in those master clips as prores422HQ (or uncompressed?) for the final cut.

My ideas come from messing about with media so maybe a long way away from best practice so i'd appreciate thoughts, ideas, and/or workflows from this forum.

I run a 12 core macpro tower with 24gb ram and 5tb storage, and FCP Studio 2.

Kind Regards

Adam Simpson

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Feature Documentary Process
on Nov 8, 2012 at 9:17:28 pm

Job #1: Pick your horizontal & vertical dimensions and a frame rate.

Job #2: Transcode everything into the frame rate you've chosen as ProRes 422 files. HQ isn't necessary unless you like overly-large media files; you don't get extra image quality from HQ for that mix of media.

You may have to use a variety of applications to get to the point where you're ready to edit.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Adam Simpson
on Nov 9, 2012 at 10:37:41 pm

Thanks Dave, I appreciate your advice. One more question. Because I have some footage that's 1910*1080 and some that's 720*576 would you suggest up or down scaling for the project?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 9, 2012 at 11:51:55 pm

You should base those decisions on the horizontal & vertical size you're expected to deliver: what your final product needs to be.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Adam Simpson
on Nov 21, 2012 at 9:21:21 pm

Sounds really obvious when you say it :) thanks again Dave.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]