FORUMS: list search recent posts

Restoring lost media in FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Barnard
Restoring lost media in FCP 7
on Nov 6, 2012 at 10:48:36 am

In a bit of a pickle. The external drive that held the media for an FCP project has died. If I recapture the media from the original tapes is there a way of syncing with the the project thus restoring to a state that existed prior to the crash. If so, how. Thanks, yours, desperate.

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
Re: Restoring lost media in FCP 7
on Nov 6, 2012 at 11:15:39 am

Hi Paul

If you captured using a device that gives tape timecode via LTC or VITC (so you had a deck connected with an RS-422 remote lead), AND you entered reel numbers when you captured the footage (or you can fathom out which is which from multiple tapes and FCP clips) then you can re-capture offline clips and the media will re-link in the timeline. This method is used when you capture material at offline quality and then subsequently re-capture at full quality after making the media offline.

Make sure all the media is listed as offline in FCP, then open the log and capture tool and ask it to batch capture 'all offline clips'. If you has multiple clips on multiple tapes and you didn't bother with reel names/numbers then this won't work properly - the system won't know that you need to change reels. I think (never been in this position) that you can highlight the clips from one reel, and then ask it to capture just the highlighted clips. Give that a try - it will allow you to manually change reels as required.

Be warned - it may not be totally frame accurate. If you captured from DV tapes using firewire, I don't think these carry accurate/any timecode, so footage may have to be re-synced in the timeline.

Good luck!

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

Paul Barnard
Re: Restoring lost media in FCP 7
on Nov 6, 2012 at 12:45:08 pm

Thanks for the speedy response, I'll let you know How I get on, cheers, Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]