FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need som workflow tips on a unusual FCP7 problem..

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tommy Jørpeland
Need som workflow tips on a unusual FCP7 problem..
on Nov 5, 2012 at 7:00:30 pm

Not a problem on FCP7 behalf, but a human error. You see I recently locked the picture on a project I have been editing. The next day the client came to take a look at it and managed to kick the hardisk so it fell, effectively breaking it. Now the project file I regularly back up, so the timeline is safe.

But, the prores media I have been working on was lost, so now I need to assemble the the raw footage (canon 5d, h264), my question now is:

Can i relink the H264 directly to the timeline without encoding again to prores (there is a lot of footage), for the sole reason the export the final film? And if not, what would be the best way to only transcode the material that is actually on the timeline?

The footage from the Canon does not include the ProRes422HQ tag, so I guess i have to do it manually for each clip

Any help would be appreciated!

Tommy

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
Re: Need som workflow tips on a unusual FCP7 problem..
on Nov 5, 2012 at 7:08:23 pm

If the file names, duration, TC match relinking should be a problem. Canon files don't have Reel names but I assume your ProRes didm't have them either.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Need som workflow tips on a unusual FCP7 problem..
on Nov 5, 2012 at 8:11:58 pm

If you log and transferred the footage, the ProRes files do indeed have REEL numbers. That might cause an issue. Plus the fact that the H.264's themselves don't have timecode. They all start at 00:00:00:00. FCP will add timecode based on metadata in the MVI files when you log and transfer.

So...if you converted the footage via Log and Transfer...relinking to the raw H.264 most likely won't work. Besides, trying to export from raw H.264 is very problematic in FCP. Sync might slip, or the wrong footage might show up. FCP doesn't like to work with H.264, thus why you need to convert in the first place.

You will most likely have to batch capture the footage again and convert to ProRes. It's really simple, just highlight the clips in the bins and hit Batch Capture. You will have to have the original drive mounted. Yes, this will take time. Since the client caused the problem...it's on them.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]