FORUMS: list search recent posts

OMF/XML trouble in FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Stishan
OMF/XML trouble in FCP7
on Nov 2, 2012 at 1:25:02 am

I'm going to try my best to explain this because it's confusing the crap out of me and really, I'm just ready to be done this project.

I am doing audio editing for a local feature film. I was instructed to get the audio from the editor, which was it's own little 2 month challenge. Anyway I have it now and I was ready to do my audio editing in Adobe Audition, which is my program of choice. The editor gave me an XML file followed by 6 OMF files which contain all the data. It opens just fine in Adobe Audition except one caveat; Audition cannot recognize FCP audio effects. Well that's frustrating, but not problem. I will just do the editing in Final Cut.

I open Final Cut, import all the OMF files via AutomaticDuck and lastly import the XML file. Soon after importing the XML files, it's giving me the skeleton of the finished project but ALL of the media is offline. However, each individual OMF file opens as it's own sequence and the audio plays just fine. But like I said, the master sequence, where all the clips are layered, in order, timing is right, etc. (which is the XML file), is just a whole lot of 'media offline' messages.

What the heck do I do? There are literally thousands of audio tracks here, I really don't want to go through all of them to find the 15 that have effects on them and then hope to recreate them in Audition. Please help!

Return to posts index

James Cude
Re: OMF/XML trouble in FCP7
on Nov 2, 2012 at 2:34:28 am

Hmm- any chance you can wash it through a ProTools station and get media more like AIF?

Return to posts index

Eric Stishan
on Nov 2, 2012 at 3:44:43 am

perhaps. i'll have to see if there are any accessible pro tools stations nearby. Audition turns all the files into AIF but then they don't have the FCP effects on them. very frustrating.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Nov 2, 2012 at 4:49:03 am

If you load the OMFs via Automatic Duck, then you don't need the XML. The XML has no media and you can't reconcile the OMF media with the XML.

However, I would never recommend you use FCP for audio editing. The OMF throws away all the FCP filters etc but I do audio post all the time via OMF and I do not want anything from FCP in the way of levels or EQ.

Just load it into a proper audio DAW and have decent EQ, dynamics procesing, denoising and then automate levels properly and split out the mix via stems so that you have FX, dialog and music pre mixes. You can't do any of that in FCP and the filters are clip based and not very good. Also FCP is a frame based editor with limited crossfading which isn't fine enough for proper sound edit work.

Return to posts index

Eric Stishan
on Nov 2, 2012 at 12:47:35 pm

thanks for the insight. the problem is there are 6 different OMF files, all with different lengths and timecodes and such, and they only seem to be lined up in the XML file. Though I guess I can try to match them?

I wouldn't want to use FCP for audio editing, but if it was going to expedite the process I figured I could suck it up just this once, especially since the editor already did some audio editing in FCP. Unfortunately there is not a way to open or cross reference any of the audio effects in Adobe Audition.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Nov 3, 2012 at 9:19:18 am

maybe you need to get proper deliverables from the editor.
you need to get GUIDE pictures & audio,
that correspond to the OMFs.
sounds like you might have 6 spools, so you need 6 pic guides

make sure there is a sync pip on the head & tail of each of your 6 sections,
with a single frame of image & a pip on each and every track.

or is are the dense FCP audio work tracks into 2G OMFs vertically, not horizontally?
maybe you just need more information from the editor

if you are ok with FCP, maybe you should get the projects AND media, and prep this stuff yourself if the editor is an idiot.
(to be fair, i should say: "If the editor is the non-technical type")

the audio filters in FCP are crap!
i cant comment too much in their audio quality except today that i'd be surprised if they are the best around,
but working with them would drive you crazy if you are used to more graphical interfaces.
(dont know if this is fixed in FCPX)

nick

Return to posts index

Eric Stishan
on Nov 5, 2012 at 4:13:05 am

I would never use FCP for appropriate audio editing, but he had some effects for high pass filters and such, things specific to the shots and like you said, I don't have the video, so I wanted to make sure the filters are in the appropriate place.

getting proper media from the editor seems out of the question at this point, unfortunately. I just can't get into contact with him, my director had to fly across the country to get a response from him....just hardly worth it at this point.

so i have a DVD of the rough cut the director gave me. i think i might rip that and use that as a reference video/audio and base the audio editing in Audition off the audio from the dvd.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]