FORUMS: list search recent posts

Synching Audio - Tail cut off

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Pasquariello
Synching Audio - Tail cut off
on Oct 31, 2012 at 8:48:50 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to merge all my audio and video clips to their respective counterparts and am running into an issue: the last 10-15 seconds of the audio are cut off after the merge, despite being present in the original audio file.

My audio and video rates are both 48 KHz, 24 bit. The video frame rate is 29.97, if that is of any use. The sequence settings are matched to that exactly, both manually on one sequence, and through FCP auto match on another sequence (did two just to test). In both it just cuts off the last 10-15 seconds for some reason.

I found this question asked in another thread but it was answered with the fact that the KHz and bit rate were not matching between audio, video and sequence. So when I made sure they all were and am still having the problem, what do I do then?

Thanks for any help!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Synching Audio - Tail cut off
on Nov 1, 2012 at 10:18:08 am

That's due to an FC bug.
I guess that your default sequence is 24 fps, so when you import the audio to FC, the application treats the audio as it had a 24 fps time base.
Change your default sequence to any one with 29,97 fps and re-import the audio.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Mike Pasquariello
on Nov 1, 2012 at 4:10:52 pm

Hi Rafael, thanks for responding!

Unfortunately when I changed that and reimported the audio (even reimported the video, to be safe), I still came across the same problem. Two things I thought might be a hiccup:

1) We were using a KiPro while shooting. I know that uses its own compression codec and does it on the spot, so is there a different preset I should be at for that, and would that maybe be the cause?

2) My resolution for the video files was off on the preset (preset set to 1440x1080, should have been 1920x1080), but I'm 99.9% positive that wouldn't cause a problem with audio and synching -- although I honestly wouldn't be that surprised if it did. Some times odd stuff like that sets other things off balance.

I checked every setting I could get my mouse on to make sure I was at the right frame rate for the project and sequence and matched it to the audio and video file. I'm hoping the KiPro thing I pointed out may be it! I'm going to continue to do some research to see if I can find out if there's a special preset, if I find anything I'll post it. If anyone knows off the top of their head though, or can find it before I do, please let me know!

Again, I appreciate the help.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 2, 2012 at 1:01:29 am

[Mike Pasquariello] "1) We were using a KiPro while shooting. I know that uses its own compression codec and does it on the spot, so is there a different preset I should be at for that, and would that maybe be the cause?"
KiPro shots Apple Prores, and I guess it flags the files properly.
But in the end, the KiPro is a recorder, and records whatever the camera puts out. Is in the camera where you must set how you want to record.
Have a look to FC Browser to see the files properties.

[Mike Pasquariello] "2) My resolution for the video files was off on the preset (preset set to 1440x1080, should have been 1920x1080), but I'm 99.9% positive that wouldn't cause a problem with audio and synching -- although I honestly wouldn't be that surprised if it did. Some times odd stuff like that sets other things off balance."
Picture resolution can not cause this kind of issues. This is all about time bases and FC settings.
Have a look to this:
http://library.creativecow.net/articles/lyon_matt/
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Mike Pasquariello
on Nov 2, 2012 at 3:21:09 pm

Thanks Rafael. I checked out that link but i don't think any of what he troubleshoots is able to solve the problem. My clips don't even show anything wrong in the diagnosis he suggests. I know the timebase and rates are the same for the sequence/project and the clips, so I don't know why it's doing this. The presets and the way it was imported was done as he instructs, but the problem persists.

Edit: When I try to enter the clip settings it says "No items have files that are applicable to this operation." For the merged file, and the original audio and video file. Never had to enter in there for a previous project so I'm not sure what is inside, but is that any insight, possibly?

It's becoming frustrating...I have the clips analyzed and have their information here, and insert that information into project/sequence presets, then when I go to lay the clip down it asks me if I want to adjust the settings since the clip does not match the sequence. If I select yes, it changes the sequence to 16 bit audio, but neither the merged clip, nor the original clips used in the merge are 16 bit, they are 24.

I'm gonna troubleshoot it for another day, but if I can't find a solution to it I think I'm going to grab a copy of Avid and use that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]