FORUMS: list search recent posts

Want a control surface/editing console for FCP under $100?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Chow
Want a control surface/editing console for FCP under $100?
on Oct 29, 2012 at 11:09:27 pm

I'm working on a project to make control surfaces for FCP (and Premiere, Resolve, Lightroom etc.) accessible to all as an app on iPods/iPhones/iPads. There's no way I know everything, so I'm asking you - what would help you in your workflow? What would allow you do in one button press that currently requires three? (Macros, presets, jog wheels...)

Check it out and let me know. http://kck.st/RIWgN4

Here's a couple things not mentioned in the video:
Keeping your eye on your video - The goal of any interface is that you can keep your eyes on your video. And a common critique of an iPad-based interface is that you would have to look at the buttons because there's no tactile reference. I found that out myself when I first created the prototype and spent months exploring physical capacitive jog wheels and physical buttons to help reference the hand without looking. In the end I decided that would add costs and not have long-term utility. Instead I thought, why not use touchscreens the way they were meant to be used - with gestures. The benefit of gestures is that they can be location agnostic and be done anywhere on the screen. Two-finger slide left and right becomes the shuttle control. Two-finger swipe moves cut-to-cut. Three fingers swipe moves to beginning and end.. Lots of possibility here to allow you to keep your eye on the footage.

Keyboard shortcuts may be faster for you - They may be, especially if you've been using them for years. I've been a Photoshop user for 10+ years and use my mechanical keyboard and shortcuts most of the time. If the app were simply buttons, it wouldn't be any faster for a seasoned pro. But when I decide to pick up Illustrator or any new program, I get annoyed at how long it takes to integrate the shortcuts and get up to speed. I know there's a faster way but haven't reached the frustration and usage to justify learning the shortcut. An app allows me to skip the frustration/resolution pattern and get up to speed right away.

Features not possible on keyboards - There is no way a keyboard can be a three-way color corrector. That is suddenly possible with an iPad app; I just made a quick proof of concept for Davinci Resolve. Want an audio board to ride the levels of multiple audio tracks as you play back (skipping that whole audio keyframing mess) - done. The iPad emulates a MACKIE control surface. Any hardware console that does this is hundreds to thousands of dollars. For the non-professional, an app can give you some of that control for much less.

Console for every program - Whether it's Color, Smoke, Blender, SketchUp, After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator or Gmail; we can make a console to work specifically with those programs. As Steve Jobs lamented of existing smartphones when launching the iPhone, "the problem is that they have keys fixed in plastic.... They can't change for new features or new applications down the road." And then he revealed the touchscreen on the iPhone that can change to fit each application and each feature. He did it for phones, I'm just trying to extend his idea to our computers.

Love to hear your thoughts or what you would want to see in a editing console.

Jeff
founder, Red Bird Rising LLC

Return to posts index

steve knattress
Re: Want a control surface/editing console for FCP under $100?
on Nov 1, 2012 at 6:47:06 pm

Do an intent search and have a look at the lemur app

Return to posts index

Jeff Chow
on Nov 1, 2012 at 10:02:54 pm

I have seen the Lemur App - it is very cool! Love the physics modeling they use. The origin of this idea was actually for an iPad lighting board which I made adapting a MIDI controller similar to Lemur.

I hope to bring the same idea to the video/photography/design world.

Return to posts index

steve knattress
on Nov 1, 2012 at 10:10:50 pm

Hands on Mixing with an iPad Part 2 – Avid Media Composer | In ...
blog.robertsalsbury.com/.../hands-on-mixing-with-an-ipad-part-2-avi...
9 Feb 2012 – This isn't quite as elegant as the FCP solution, for several reasons, but .... to make an all-in-one solution with the Lemur app, but it's expensive ...

Why I suggested an Internet search rob has an ipad mixer for FCP and avid

Steve

Return to posts index

Jeff Chow
on Nov 1, 2012 at 10:41:30 pm

Thanks for the link - I missed it in my search. I stumbled on the same idea with only slightly different execution. CTRL+Console is more than just audio though, it is becoming a full-fledged video editing console with jog/shuttle, 3-way color wheels and all the buttons you'd want.

I am actually using TouchOSC in my prototype but with a different program (Bome's MidiTranslator) on the desktop that handles both the MIDI and keyboard shortcuts. It doesn't seem to suffer from the lag that Rob experienced.

Making the audio mixer was pretty easy. Adapting it to become a video editor (and not just audio) for FCP, and adding in (currently rough) control of Resolve's 3-way color wheels has been the tricky bit. It is more like JL Cooper's (http://www.jlcooper.com/_php/family.php?fam=eclipseseries)

Jeff

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]