FORUMS: list search recent posts

Working with RAID for backup and editing on FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Neutzsky-Wulff
Working with RAID for backup and editing on FCP7
on Oct 29, 2012 at 4:53:33 pm

Hi forum,

I have three Mac Pro workstations that will be used for editing, colorgrading and animation and they all need to be connected to the same RAID, so that they will all have access to the same footage. In theory, all three workstations should be able to work on the same project simultaneously.

I also need a RAID where all raw video footage will be stored for backup purposes.

My workflow will look like this:

1. Shooting the actual footage
2. Backing up raw footage on RAID
3. Converting footage for editing on FCP7 and placing it on separate RAID which is connected to all three workstations
4. Editor edits the footage into a final project
5. Animator accesses final project from a different workstation and creates the animations
6. Colorist accesses final project from a different workstation and grades the project
7. Export OMF for sound designer
8. Gather all and export a final product

So, to sum things up, I need the following:

1 RAID for backup of raw footage
1 RAID for storing project files and converted media for editing on all three workstations simultaeneously

What kind of RAID should I get and how do I connect all three workstations at once for a seamless workflow?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Best regards,
Daniel

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Working with RAID for backup and editing on FCP7
on Oct 29, 2012 at 6:07:56 pm

You need a SAN. A RAID connected to a server...that's pretty involved. You need to contact a company that specializes in that, like Small Tree Communications or ProMax.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]