FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice for exporting large HD timeline to non-humongous 16:9 SD mp4 for proofing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Basil Glew-Galloway
Advice for exporting large HD timeline to non-humongous 16:9 SD mp4 for proofing
on Oct 29, 2012 at 2:30:37 am

The subject is sort of self explanatory- I have a many-hour HD timeline that I want to make a 16:9 SD reasonably nice looking export of. Can you share a good work-flow for this with me?

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Advice for exporting large HD timeline to non-humongous 16:9 SD mp4 for proofing
on Oct 29, 2012 at 1:33:00 pm

Edit in HD. Export QT reference movie. Drop file into Compressor. Choose a 16:9 h.264 preset and export.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Advice for exporting large HD timeline to non-humongous 16:9 SD mp4 for proofing
on Oct 29, 2012 at 2:22:06 pm

And if you don't want it to take a whole day to compress, I suggest using around 75% quality, faster (single pass), auto keyframes, and make sure you select AAC audio (128k is good), and fast start. If you don't select fast start, the whole thing will have to download before they can play. And if you don't choose single pass, it will take much much much longer to compress with negligible, if any, perceivable difference in quality. Also, turn off frame controls if they're on and any deinterlacing. Scale to 854x480 which is essentially 16:9 SD and deinterlacing is not necessary.

You can export the exact same file with the above settings using FCP itself just using quicktime conversion. Should export in roughly real time. Export a small couple minute portion first to test obviously.

Return to posts index

Basil Glew-Galloway
on Oct 29, 2012 at 7:23:08 pm

Awesome thanks so much. btw, does it help any to make it mp4 rather than a quicktime movie?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]