FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best practices work flow with YouTube clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Dougherty
Best practices work flow with YouTube clips
on Oct 29, 2012 at 1:02:57 am

For a rip-o-matic in-house video (edit in FCP 7), I'm downloading a bunch of 1080p YouTube videos that arrive as h.264 / 44.1 KHz clips. They are a mix of 23.98, 25 and 30 fps.

In a perfect world I would have loved to do some rough work with the raw clips *before* converting to ProRes -- just to decide what I'm using, ie. narrow down the field to real selects.

This is probably not meant to be due to the different frame rates, I'll be forced to do a lot of rendering in the timeline just to see them strung together.

I'm not 100% sure what the deliverable is but I will make a 1080p master. I guess I have to bite the bullet and convert everything to ProRes first huh? (I'm guessing the best would be 29.97fps)

*If* there was a way to do a rough with the h.264 originals.. could one convert the master clips in FCP7 at a certain point and (in one maneuver) effectively port the related sub clips made from said master clips so that they are now ProRes too? Possible?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Paul

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Best practices work flow with YouTube clips
on Oct 29, 2012 at 1:26:40 am

My advice. Use Premiere Pro CS6. It'll work with the files natively, mix frame rates properly, and if you use the FCP keyboard layout, it is very much like FCP. Plus thee is a 30-day fully functional free demo.

And if you like it, a monthly plan to rent it when you need it. Called Creative Cloud.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Paul Dougherty
on Oct 29, 2012 at 1:54:17 am

Wow very cool, but after Avid & FCP - I'm loathe to learn yet another app

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 29, 2012 at 2:47:40 am

FCP as you know it is done. Will soon be gone. Premiere is the most logical step from it. Best to learn it.

If you want to use FCP or Avid, you'll need to transcode. Period. Those are your options.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Oct 29, 2012 at 1:31:14 pm

If you know FCP, the new Premiere CS6 will be an easy learning curve. As Shane suggests, use can set your keyboard layout to FCP's keyboard shortcuts. Most of my editing these days are primarily done in Premiere these days.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]