FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting for DVD: AIC vs ProRes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vic Noseworthy
Exporting for DVD: AIC vs ProRes
on Oct 28, 2012 at 10:36:52 pm

Hi folks,
Just wondering... If I export a .mov file for use in creating a DVD, will exporting from a ProRes codec yeild a better DVD quality than exporting from AIC?
NOTE: The original footage was shot using a "pro-sumer" level camera (specifically, a Canon HF M400).
I'm just wondering if the better codec, in and of itself, is advantageous when exporting for DVD.
Any thoughts/advice will be very much appreciated.
Thanks,
Vic

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Exporting for DVD: AIC vs ProRes
on Oct 28, 2012 at 10:52:55 pm

Export a self contained QT file...whatever your current settings are. Then take the result into Compressor and use the DVD presets. Don't recompress to ANY other format when you export from FCP. That adds a layer of compression and you want to avoid that.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Vic Noseworthy
on Oct 29, 2012 at 2:37:37 am

Thank you, Shane. I currently use iDVD to make DVDs, and I do this by simply dragging the .mov file into iDVD, and I then use the "Professional" setting (within iDVD) whenever possible.
I've never used Compressor. Does Compressor render an mpeg-2 file that will give a higher quality DVD (i.e. higher quality than using the iDVD method I currently use)???
Thanks very much for your expertise.
Vic

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 29, 2012 at 8:50:02 am

Sorry, I don't use iDVD, so I can't offer any insight as to the quality of it vs DVD Studio pro. But since iDVD is consumer software, and DVD Studio Pro is professional software, I'd wager there is a big difference. Especially if you use Compressor to compress DVD High Quality before you author...as Compressor is doing the compressing. And that too is Professional software.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Vic Noseworthy
on Oct 29, 2012 at 4:29:11 pm

Thank you, Shane.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]