FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resurrecting old project - crashes and motion clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Morache
Resurrecting old project - crashes and motion clips
on Oct 28, 2012 at 8:55:51 pm

Anyone have any good experience reopening older projects.

I have a large project from 2008. (FCP5? FCP6?) I was very meticulous about saving a copy of the FCP project along with all of the media and storing it on a fresh hard drive. I reopened it to make sure everything was connected, then put it away for 4 years.

I'm not even sure which version of FCP the project is in. I was a late adopter to FCP6 since I had an old G5 tower for a long time, and an educational version of FCP Studio that I couldn't upgrade.

I'm trying to reopen it, and it updates to FCP7 alright, however scrubbing through the timeline, certain places cause a crash.

I believe it's because I have motn clips in the timeline. I have FCP7 and FCPX installed on the same drive now. Same for Motion 4 and Motion 5.

The original project may have used Motion 3.

When FCP gets to the motion clips, is it trying to resolve and render them using Motion 4? Motion 5? Do I need to change my preferences somewhere to force it to use the older Motion? Do I need to go through each motn clip in the finder and update them to the newer Motion (and would that be Motion 4 or 5?) Do I need to go through and replace all the motion clips with quicktime files I create in motion?

I guess the lesson here is that when I have a large project, I should save some bootable partition of my FCP Studio to insure the ability of reopening an old project?

Any advice would be welcome, and forgive me if this has been asked and answered. I tried searching. It's a big archive.

Thanks

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Resurrecting old project - crashes and motion clips
on Oct 28, 2012 at 8:58:43 pm

You are better off opening the Motion clips in Motion and render them to match your sequence settings.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Oct 28, 2012 at 9:32:58 pm

I was afraid of that. I have about 140 of them.

Interesting however, when I try to open them in Motion 4, it crashes. When I try to open them in Motion 5, I need to relink the media, but then it acts as expected.

However, if I save the file in Motion 5, it won't show up in the FCP project. I get the "missing media files"

I suspect that when I exported the entire FCP project that it didn't relink the files inside the motn clips, and for some reason I can't relink them using Motion 4, only Motion 5, which doesn't show up in FCP7.

I could set up a boot drive with FCP5 and Motion 3. It could help me if I ever need to reopen anything else from the far far distant past (only 4 years ago).

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 29, 2012 at 4:43:27 pm

[Mark Morache] "I was afraid of that. I have about 140 of them."

Yeah, that's the problem: it might be a big time-saver at the time to put a motn clip into FCP, but that time-saver turns into a big headache when it's time to archive.

I hope you find a solution to opening old Motion projects, and I hope this time, you take the time to render the clips out of Motion.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]