FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canon 5D Footage much darker in output

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Engel
Canon 5D Footage much darker in output
on Oct 28, 2012 at 5:28:08 pm

Hallo Everybody,

I just finished a project in FCP 7 with Canon 5D DSLR Footage. Transcoded to ProRes LT.
Now, my problem, when I output it to DVD (over compressor) it seems to get a lot darkened, specially the blacks, compared to how it looked on the Computer screen.
With SD DV Pal Footage, it was always the other way around - what looked very dark, even too dark on the monitor, was brighter on a PAL DVD played on regular TV.
Is that normal thing to take into consideration when doing CC & Grading, that DSLR Footage looks darker on SD TV Sets and regular SD DVDs?
Because the ProRes LT Output of the timeline into an Final HD file still looks fine. The darkening happens after compressing to SD DVD.

Thanx for any thoughts on this one.

Sascha

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Canon 5D Footage much darker in output
on Oct 28, 2012 at 8:20:06 pm

[Sascha Engel] "compared to how it looked on the Computer screen."

Sasha...how long have you been on these forums? A long time. How many times have we said that you cannot compare what you see in the FCP window with how it will look on TV? A lot. You even said that the HD file that you output looks fine compared to what you see in FCP. Because you are looking at both on your computer display.

If you want to know what it will look like on TV...you know what you need.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
Re: Canon 5D Footage much darker in outputG
on Oct 28, 2012 at 9:35:23 pm

Hi Shane, I'm totally aware of that. But since I got really good in eye balling, when it's about PAL SD footage, I just know that it comes of lighter than in computer. I just wanted to know, if in general, it's the other way around with 5D footage, that it comes off darker.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 28, 2012 at 10:21:48 pm

HD in general gets a tad darker when burned to SD DVD. But nothing that would make me go "whoa...WTF?" I guess I might be too used to the difference...either that or the fact that I have an external monitor means I'm not surprised. I have two, actually...one that shows HD and the other SD downconvert. The difference between them is barely noticeable when played out.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Oct 29, 2012 at 6:01:38 am

So, would following be a possible workflow;
I grade the whole show for HD, output then the final HD file, and then - before down conversion to SD - take the whole file and brighten that up a notch?
What you say?

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Oct 29, 2012 at 5:25:05 pm

yeah, if you push the black color to much it can look bad in SD. This is pretty standard for all digital camera files. If you are not going to produce HD content, then you'll need to back off a little.

But, if you do want the option to publich in HD in the future, by all means, grade for both.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Sascha Engel
on Oct 29, 2012 at 7:12:49 pm

Thanx, Brent! Yup, that is what I'll do.
I grade it for HD output and then make a version where I tweak up the blacks a noth.

Have a great day,

Sascha

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]