FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Anomalies w FCP to STP to Export w Compressor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher McDonell
Audio Anomalies w FCP to STP to Export w Compressor
on Oct 27, 2012 at 11:38:03 pm

I'm ready to pull my hair out. Soundtrack Pro is so crap! I get different results with every export, whether it's clips being dropped and replaced with silence, keyframes deleted, or fades not working. For important projects, I send audio to a sound studio but on occasion, like now, I try to do my own mixing. Weddings for friends, etc. Beyond the major inconsistencies I'm having w STP, which then forces me to 'proof' all the edit points before I can export, I'm having export problems! Whether I send to Compressor, or perform an AIF export or QT export out of FCP, the levels change. I can bring both files up in another app like Bias Peak and compare, and for whatever reason, the Compressor export (PCM, best, 48, 16 bit) looks like it's being normalized and/or compressed - with loud parts clipping. I don't get it. It's totally unusable. My export out of STP is correct. Even in FCP, once imported, it sounds fine. But once I send to Compressor, or whatever, it is changed.

Any thoughts? Other than, you should have just mixed in FCP, or time to get Pro Tools...

Chris

FCP 6.0.6, STP 2.0.2, Lion

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Audio Anomalies w FCP to STP to Export w Compressor
on Oct 28, 2012 at 12:08:31 am

FCS2 on Lion? I am not surprised things might not work as advertised. Perhaps you should output a wav or aif of STP final mix and import that back into FCP

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
Re: Audio Anomalies w FCP to STP to Export w Compressor
on Oct 28, 2012 at 2:34:04 am

Yes. Amazingly there are still some of using this archaic 4 year old software to cut movies! Unfortunately, even though Apple continued to sell version 7 by phone after pulling the plug on it (for a limited time), they didn't offer the upgrade version. The 6 upgrade cost me nearly a grand. Should I have paid another grand to be one year further away from obsolete? Ha. But rant aside, I've had no problems w 6.0.6 and Lion. Until now. And I'm not sure it's a STP Lion thing. That's why I'm asking. Thank you for your question, Michael. But I did export an aif file and lay it into the timeline. It's exporting to Compressor that is giving me ill results. Namely changing the levels and making the audio sound processed, as if recompressed. I can just use the STP export for a DVD build, just hope I don't have different levels, etc, in a h.264 export.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]