FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 on Mountain Lion. Potential solutions or can I dual boot Snow Leopard?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob McDougall
FCP 7 on Mountain Lion. Potential solutions or can I dual boot Snow Leopard?
on Oct 27, 2012 at 10:47:27 am

I know it's been discussed a lot but I can't really find recent information that is helping me, so am hoping someone can.

I just bought a Mac Pro 3,1 8 Core system as below. Unfortunately it came with Mountain Lion...

I've since installed FCP Studio 2, and FCP 7. Naturally pain ensues.

As with many others I'm having playback issues, where audio is choppy and painful to edit with.
If I boot and just run FCP, it does play smoothly for a little while.

FCP errors when sending audio to Soundtrack Pro properly but I won't get into that here....

I've tried setting up a dual boot system to have Snow Leopard alongside ML, but can't get it working. I get a kernel error (as others reported) when trying to boot from an external SL install. (I haven't yet got another internal Sata drive with SL install for bay 3 to see if that would help...but I doubt it would)

If anyone has fixes/suggestions/potential solutions on FCP working in ML I'm all ears for any developments that might help.

Otherwise I'll pursue the SL dual boot setup to see if it's at all possible, or failing that clean install of SL and remove ML completely.

Thanks in advance.

MAC PRO 3,1 2 x 2.8ghz quad core xeon processors \
16gig 800mhz DDR-2 ram
1 x NVidia 8800GT Graphic Card
1 x Caldigit RAIDcard
1 x Caldigit FASTA - 6GU3 USB 3.0 plus eSata

Blackmagic Decklink Pro PCI Card on the way for monitoring audio output...hopefully doesn't add to issues...

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
Re: FCP 7 on Mountain Lion. Potential solutions or can I dual boot Snow Leopard?
on Oct 27, 2012 at 11:21:47 am

If you run "uname -a" in the terminal, does the output line end with x86_64 or i386? If it's the latter, then you are booting 32 bit and that would explain some performance issues. You can force a 64 bit boot by holding down the 6 and 4 key at power up. (there are nvram settings to make it permanent)

Steve

Steve Modica
CTO, Small Tree Communications

Return to posts index

Rob McDougall
Re: FCP 7 on Mountain Lion. Potential solutions or can I dual boot Snow Leopard?
on Oct 27, 2012 at 12:04:49 pm

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the tip, good to know.

I get the following: RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

So it looks fine from what you suggest.

Return to posts index

Rob McDougall
on Oct 29, 2012 at 1:41:49 am

Great to hear it's possible Warren. I wonder how much influence the Kona card has with FCP working properly on ML and if it would be the same if it was removed?
I gather you've always had the Kona in the system since using ML?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]