FORUMS: list search recent posts

best mpg conversion for editing in FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john crossfield
best mpg conversion for editing in FCP
on Oct 26, 2012 at 9:48:38 pm

Hi all,

working on a hospital project with several sony hDD (SD PAL)cams that create mpg files. I have currently tried a few things after reading various bits of advice on other posts here.

I have converted with MPEG Streamslip to pro res 422, dropped a file into a FCP project, when dropped into the timeline the usual box comes up (this does not fit with your current settings do you want to change the settings) I click ok to allow the settings to be changed. Great, no red render lines to deal with but on moving footage I get the jagged lines across some part of the footage (faces). So not sure what settings to alter in MPEG Streamclip to solve this.

I've also converted using iskysoft video converter. This may be seen as a bit of a faux pa on here not sure but it has very simple interface, has a FCP export setting and when dropped into timeline and settings allowed to be changed, has none of the jagged lines. PERFECT! this is your answer I hear you say. It would be, yes, but the audio needs rendering.

I'd be happy using either software if I can get a smooth image that doesn't need rendering when dropped in the timeline.

So if anyone can offer any advice as to the settings I need to put into either converter and the sequence settings for FCP I'd be most appreciative.

All I'm after is a simple workflow setup so I can set a convert setting that will not require rendering in FCP.

thanks for taking the time to read

JOhn

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: best mpg conversion for editing in FCP
on Oct 29, 2012 at 3:09:19 pm

Being the stuff SD, I gues is Interlaced.
Check the "Deinterlace Video" box in MPGstreamclip.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 29, 2012 at 4:37:55 pm

There's no mention made of the frame rate. You could have shot 24p, but at SD it's recorded as 60i. This opens up a brand-new can of worms.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

john crossfield
on Oct 30, 2012 at 6:12:53 am

thanks will check out both these things and report back today.

Return to posts index

john crossfield
on Oct 30, 2012 at 12:28:43 pm

Hi, I think I've sorted it. The source info in mpeg streamclip for these files was reading:
Video Tracks
224 mpeg2 720 x 576 16:9 25fps 9:10mbps upperfield first

audio 128 AC 2/0 48khz 256kbs

so on your advice I checked the interlaced box in the settings and jagged lines are gone. I've also discovered the batch setting for mpeg streamclip which was the one benefit of using iskysoft. Still can't work out why that particular software spits out converts with audio that need rendering in FCP so will stick with Mpeg streamclip.

thanks a lot for the help and advice

John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]