FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing 24p tapes easiest method

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles House
Importing 24p tapes easiest method
on Oct 26, 2012 at 6:37:39 pm

I have a stack of tapes shot in 24p on an XL2 and DVX. Most is interview footage, so I'd like to import the entire tape at a time.

What is the easiest method for importing 24p from tape in Final Cut 6?

As I said, it's interviews, so audio is more important than motion. I will be adding b roll shot in 24p tapeless, so the sequence needs to be 24p as well. I never understood importing and editing 24p (not 24pa) so this project has been sitting for a long while.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Importing 24p tapes easiest method
on Oct 29, 2012 at 4:34:50 pm

Because the tape transport of a DV camera isn't dead-solid perfect each and every time tape starts & stops, the camera is turned on & off or batteries get changed, it's a virtual certainty that your tapes did NOT hold an absolutely perfect 3:2 24p pulldown cadence each and every time.

This precludes capturing entire tapes unless you really, Really, REALLY like to gamble.

Instead, use Log & Capture to get individual shots, copies of which can then used in either FCP or Cinema Tools to perform a Reverse Telecine. It's also a good time to do a first cut on obviously bad shots & takes, cutting down on the amount of footage captured.

It also gives you the opportunity to give the shot a logical name.

This certainly will consume a lot of time, but it's DV and it can't be helped.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Charles House
Re: Importing 24p tapes easiest method
on Nov 3, 2012 at 3:05:22 am

This is the exact opposite input I was given here http://www.reddit.com/r/editors/comments/12584f/importing_24p_from_tape_eas...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]