FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 glitching between transitions and cuts when using HD and Prores422 files

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Troy Smith
FCP7 glitching between transitions and cuts when using HD and Prores422 files
on Oct 26, 2012 at 2:16:27 pm

I have been editing a project using files from a Canon T3i in FCP7 on a MacBookPro (2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, OSX 10.6.8)and it "glitches between simple cuts from one clip to another. It looks like a stutter, or repeating of the first two frames of the new clip. It is very annoying. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Troy Smith
Imminent Entertainment LLC
Education for the Arts
Vicksburg High School

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: FCP7 glitching between transitions and cuts when using HD and Prores422 files
on Oct 26, 2012 at 5:11:19 pm

How did you transcode the dslr files? using what app, etc...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
Re: FCP7 glitching between transitions and cuts when using HD and Prores422 files
on Oct 26, 2012 at 5:24:50 pm

Are your media files on an external 7200 rpm drive?... if not, they should be.

Gary

Return to posts index

Troy Smith
on Oct 29, 2012 at 1:55:42 pm

I did not transcode them. FCP7 will take the files and play them fine when the timeline settings match the clip.

Also, I am using 7200 rpm hard drives.

Troy Smith
Education for the Arts
Vicksburg High School

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Oct 30, 2012 at 12:38:22 am

[Troy Smith] "I did not transcode them. FCP7 will take the files and play them fine when the timeline settings match the clip."

I can't speak from experience because I don't actually use FCP, but I've lurked around this forum long enough to know that yes, the native files may play in FCP but as you work with your project your computer will start to choke because it just can't deal with the high compression of these files. Transcoding to a more work friendly codec such as ProRes is the way to go. That's why the first question Jerry asked was how you transcoded the files. Unless I'm missing something, others with more knowledge than I can surely confirm this. Do a search on transcoding to ProRes and you'll find all sorts of good advice.

HTH

Gary

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Oct 30, 2012 at 1:17:51 am

Yeah, you need to transcode the camera files before you start editing with them. Use ProRes...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Troy Smith
on Oct 30, 2012 at 2:06:34 am

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Troy Smith
Education for the Arts
Vicksburg High School

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Oct 30, 2012 at 2:34:09 am

Please let us know how it works out. Thanks

Gary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]