FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best External Hard Drive for FCP editing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Loh
Best External Hard Drive for FCP editing
on Oct 25, 2012 at 10:56:02 pm

It's time again for that question: What's the best (or your preference) of desktop external hard drives for FCP editing? My go-to drive used to be the La Cie d2 (I've used dozens), but they seem to have fallen out of favor with recent models.

I'm looking for drives that are at least 1TB, no need for portable, most likely Firewire 800 daisy-chainable (unless you've got other ideas - I'm not familiar with RAIDs, I always just backed up religiously). Working with ProRes 422 (converted from AVCHD) 1080p24. I've got a 2008 MB Pro with FCP 6 (yes, I know it's old, but I'd rather not switch out in the middle of this project), so I may go the ProRes 422 (Proxy) offline route just so the system doesn't choke.

Recommendations? Thanks in advance.

--Steve.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Best External Hard Drive for FCP editing
on Oct 26, 2012 at 12:17:10 am

I use drives from Glyph:

http://www.glyphtech.com/

And drives from OWC

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/1394/USB/EliteAL/eSATA_FW800_FW400_...

And quite a few from CalDigit:

http://www.caldigit.com

I like the ones from CalDigit, but they are expensive. For good reason, they are solid and have a great warantee. But if you want cheaper, look at the other two.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Oct 26, 2012 at 1:55:37 am

G-RAIDs seem to have nothing but good reviews, and they are fast as well as reliable. There's an article around here somewhere about them actually. Ive been using 7 of them, as well as a further 7 of the standard G-Drives, all of varying capacity, and haven't had a problem so far. They also have esata ports so when you do upgrade you can get a bit more speed out of them :)

Tom Morter-Laing
Twitter- @TomTheEditor
iMac 27" intel i7 3.4GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD 6970M [2GB GDDR5], 2x G-Tech G-RAID (0) 2TB over Thunderbolt via Sonnet Echo ExpressCard/34 Thunderbolt adapter and Tempo™ SATA ExpressCard/34. Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Oct 26, 2012 at 5:19:01 pm

Agree with the other posts, but one thing's for sure, don't buy stuff you'll find in Best Buy etc... they are mostly consumer grade setups, unless they are G-Tech or better. They are slower, and they aren't tested in any way before they are slapped into those enclosures, which usually include years old chip sets, etc.

I do like those same brands mentioned. I'd not be afraid to buy a Thunderbolt connected multiconnection setup either. Your next Mac will take advantage of the TB connection.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Oct 27, 2012 at 12:59:27 pm

You might take a look at the LaCie eSATA to thunderbolt hub? The drives listed here are great! And most include eSATA functionality. Very fast. And the GRAIDs scream with it. With the eSATA to thunderbolt hub, you can buy the non thunderbolt drives (sometimes a third of the cost) and use them with thunderbolt! And works great.

I just edited a live performance music video with one HDV cam, two DSLRs, and one GoPro...all on a single 7200rpm eSATA drive...via Multi-Cam in FCP X and had no trouble doing it. No choking at all! On a 2011 MBP.

Of course, this all depends on whether you have a thunderbolt Mac. The Lacie eSATA to TB hub costs $200 but is well worth it since I have years worth of eSATA drives that are relevant again!

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10574&gclid=CMq58v6fobMCFQqe4A...

Posted from iPad, please excuse typos!

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions

Return to posts index

Steve Loh
on Nov 1, 2012 at 12:02:10 am

Thanks for the input, guys.

Return to posts index

Karl Gerhard
on Jan 13, 2013 at 3:06:47 pm

Which drive did you go with? I have a 4TB pegasus Thunderbolt and an older G-tech 4TB fire wire. I'm going to purchase another 4-8TB Thunderbolt and trying to decide between the 2 brands. The Pegasus has worked great, however, it has never mounted or granted access to more than 3 TB (get info window). Drive utilities checked out everything fine, must be the raid config.

The G-tech fire wire has been great but wow does the new TB connection make it seem archaic........

Karl Gerhard
Group Effort Pro

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Jan 13, 2013 at 4:57:02 pm

That LaCie eSATA to TB hub would breath new life into your GRAID and all of your other eSATA capable drives. Plus it'll allow you to enjoy your TB capabilities (2 at a time!) while being able to buy inexpensive eSATA drives. I just picked up a GRAID 4tb drive for $279! 3 times that for a TB GRAID.

Posted from iPad, please excuse typos!

Return to posts index

Karl Gerhard
on Feb 6, 2013 at 4:48:33 pm

Went with the WD Duo Thunderbolt 6TB. It's going back a week later - defective. Kept having mounting issues only resolution was to keep reformatting. Tech support said bad drive. Back to the drawing board on which drive to purchase.....

Karl Gerhard
Group Effort Pro

Return to posts index

Steve Loh
on Feb 6, 2013 at 6:10:31 pm

I ended up getting (2) LaCie d2 Quadras, 2TB each. Not a RAID, but I manually backup one to the other every night. So far so good for my needs.

--Steve Loh.
--Pescadito Productions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]