FORUMS: list search recent posts

any way to automate error handling on overnight renders?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roberto Etcheverry
any way to automate error handling on overnight renders?
on Oct 25, 2012 at 12:58:12 pm

First of all, sorry for any spelling mistakes, typing this from my phone.

So here goes. I work doing mostly institutional videos, and it's not uncommon for them to be over 20 minutes long with lots of things like 3D animations and twixtor assisted slow motion, which can lead to very long multiple hours renders, which I sually leave overnight. Problem is, like it happened to me today, I can come back in the morning to an error message and an unfinished render, and a client that wants to see his video this morning.

So, my question is... Is there any way to handle that? Maybe something like a script or similar that, on case there has been a dialog open for 15 minutes or longer with no user interaction, accept it and start render again?

If what I'm talking about is completely impossible, BTW, disregard and consider it just a rant from a very stressed and tired editor trying to get a video to DVD in timeand just venting a little bit... :)

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: any way to automate error handling on overnight renders?
on Oct 25, 2012 at 6:52:05 pm

Never heard of any automated interventions like this.

The only real suggestion might be to try to make your sequences as foolproof as possible. Where certain operations are known to be very time consuming or flaky -- bake them out and re-imbed them so "done once" and don't commit the time to doing it again, or lose nights due to a hung system.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: any way to automate error handling on overnight renders?
on Oct 26, 2012 at 3:54:03 am

yeah, good idea.
i'd always place these bakes on a new track OVER the existing work, so you don't have to fish around in case of any revisions.

rendering as you go is a good thing, too,
like on lunch breaks, etc.

for a final render of a sequences that might still be complex, it can be a good idea to "freshen up" FCP.
close all other sequences and as many windows as possible.
quit & re-start FCP,
& quit as many other apps as possible ESPECIALLY Safari, which seems to be a huge Ram hog these days

then start your over-night render.

recently i use team viewer, a remote desktop type app to check on a long render happening on my work machine.
when it was done, i set off an export from the comfort of home.

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]