FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need to import footage (stored on dvds) into fcpx - is this possible???

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vincent D'Angelis
Need to import footage (stored on dvds) into fcpx - is this possible???
on Oct 25, 2012 at 8:55:29 am

hi - & thank you in advance for your help -

a potential client wants me to do a huge editing project, but all of his home movie footage is on dvds & VHS tapes - how do you import footage from dvds, & VHS tape into fcpx??

i surfed around looking for answers, but can't seem to find any...
there must be a way to get this footage into fcpx... no?

thank you!

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Re: Need to import footage (stored on dvds) into fcpx - is this possible???
on Oct 25, 2012 at 10:25:15 am

For the dvds, you'll need a ripping software that allows you to extract video files from the video dvd structure. I seem to remember MPEG Streamclip could do it. You can make it with the software only, since the dvd files are already digital, and once you have the files, you should be able to import them. To ingest the footage from the tapes you'll need a player and a card with analogue in, like a firewire Pyro ADS or similar. I don't know if FCPX can do the ingest, but usually the cards come with very easy ss that can do it, and once you have the files, you can import them. What system are you running?

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Vincent D'Angelis
on Oct 25, 2012 at 2:12:42 pm

thanks for the info - I'm on fcpx on a 27" iMac i7

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Oct 25, 2012 at 12:26:36 pm

[Vincent D'Angelis] "i surfed around looking for answers, but can't seem to find any... "

I find that hard to believe. This is asked very often.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Roberto Etcheverry
on Oct 25, 2012 at 1:11:25 pm

Mpeg streamclip will take care of your DVDs (I use it all the time for that). Just use open disc, point it to your DVD, save as QuickTime and select from the drop down list dv/dvcpro NTSC and you should be golden. The VHS tapes are trickier, since you need an actual VHS and a way to capture analogue video in the computer if you want to do it yourself, hard to suggest a way to do it without knowing what kind of equipment you have access to. As an alternative you can look for places that will transfer VHS to DVD and then import the DVDs

Return to posts index

Jimmy Wanamassa
on Oct 25, 2012 at 2:07:00 pm

There is a program called Handbrake that works well for ripping DVDs.

Return to posts index

Vincent D'Angelis
on Oct 25, 2012 at 2:21:22 pm

thanks - i will check out the program... I have a vhs player, & was thinking of just trying to import with the player (with some type of rca/usb jack) - if that's possible...

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Oct 25, 2012 at 4:04:37 pm

There's no way you can do it without an external box that converts the analog signal in digital via the fw. Check here: http://www.adstechnologies.com If the project is paid enough, you could get one of these boxes. You can find one on e-bay for cheap. If you were in Rome I would lend you mine :-). I don't know if FCPX can capture straight from there (but I guess it should like it would with a dv or hdv tape, I am not familiar yet with the new tool), but if you have FCP7 you can for sure. The other way is going to a photo/video lab and have them do the job for you, and deliver you a few dvds. Most likely it will cost you more than the box, and you could still need the item in the future). I used my Pyro ADS to output a PAL dv or whatever other SD video to a CRT tv before building the master tapes, to check if fields where interpreted right all the way and I didn't have any problems with flickering titles and stills.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

Vincent D'Angelis
on Oct 25, 2012 at 2:06:41 pm

[Steve Eisen] "I find that hard to believe. This is asked very often."

seriously dude, if you have nothing positive or constructive to say, then why bother saying anything... like I have nothing better to do than to come on here & make up lies...

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Oct 25, 2012 at 6:37:24 pm

Given the fact that you will already need to rip files from DVD (use MPEG StreamClip - it's free!), the cheapest and easiest way is to buy (or borrow - but they're not that expensive) a standalone DVD recorder, plug in the output from your VHS player, record onto DVD discs, and then rip the files from those. This will accomplish two things - your client will have DVD copies of the original tapes, you will have the digital files you need to work from, and you will have a DVD recorder to use the next time someone asks you to do this kind of work (okay that's three things). The external converter boxes others have mentioned will of course work as well but they may cost a bit more than a DVD recorder and you don't end up with DVD copies of the original tapes to give to your client, who will probably be glad to have them.

HTH

Gary

Return to posts index

Vincent D'Angelis
on Oct 25, 2012 at 9:26:24 pm

thats a good idea... I will definitely look into it - thanks!

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Oct 25, 2012 at 7:07:32 pm

[Vincent D'Angelis] "seriously dude, if you have nothing positive or constructive to say, then why bother saying anything... like I have nothing better to do than to come on here & make up lies..."

I'm not saying you are lying. I am saying that you did not search first before asking a frequently asked question on this forum. When I type in "import DVD", I get 1957 results. "Rip DVD" yields 390 results.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]