FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pro Res Export Degradation

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joey Bania
Pro Res Export Degradation
on Oct 24, 2012 at 8:28:14 pm

A quick question regarding exporting with "current settings" from the timeline...

I recently finished a project and exported the final master to current settings (Pro Res 422). From there I used compressor to create a few different versions.

Now I realise I missed one small sponsor logo at the end of the film and I'd like to go back and put it in. The problem is, I deleted all my render files in the meantime so it will take another very long render (and I've been having "out of memory" issues a lot which means I'll probably have to sit through it).

My question is, if I simply import the Pro Res master to a new timeline and whip the 3 second logo on top at the very end, export using "current settings" again and then go through compressor once more, will there be any loss in quality? Will the footage be degraded in ANY way?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Pro Res Export Degradation
on Oct 24, 2012 at 9:28:01 pm

How far are you into six generations of re-rendering on the original edit? It takes six generations before you see any kind of image degradation with ProRes 422.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joey Bania
on Oct 24, 2012 at 9:30:54 pm

I Imported and transcoded from MTS to begin with. Then edited the project and exported as Pro Res. Now I'd like to reimport and export one more time, which by my count makes 3 generations. Is that right?

So there's no degradation whatsoever in the first 5 generations?

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Oct 24, 2012 at 9:36:31 pm

The generational loss that Dave is referring to applies specifically to ProRes. So it's not counted as a generation when you transcode from XYZ codec to ProRes.

In your case it looks like this
MTS --> ProRes (transcode, no generational loss as you haven't been in ProRes until now, this is essentially the first generation of ProRes)
Export timeline as ProRes Master (2nd generation)

So if you want to re-import the master and drop the graphic on there you shouldn't have any problems. And even if you were over 6 generations it takes a very discerning eye to notice the degradation. I had a hard time seeing it at NAB when Apple released this codec back in '07....but maybe I don't have a discerning eye! ;-)

You'll be fine re-importing the master and tweaking that real quick.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
vimeo.com/ryanholmes

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 24, 2012 at 9:39:11 pm

...and if you want to check, who says you have to re-render the entire file? Just do a few seconds before and after the new graphic. Cut it into the already-rendered program in a new project.

See if you can tell the difference.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Oct 24, 2012 at 9:46:11 pm

[Ryan Holmes] "You'll be fine re-importing the master and tweaking that real quick."

You should be fine. DLR's suggestion of recutting the missing segment back into the original is a good idea. I often either duplicate sequences or export textless beds for multiple languages, versions and frame bases (cinema, PAL, NTSC) and haven't had any complaints.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Joey Bania
on Oct 24, 2012 at 10:04:38 pm

This is all music to my ears! The dreaded spectre of a sleepless night full of "out of memory" errors was looming!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]