FORUMS: list search recent posts

I'm having a WTF?!? Moment...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Smith
I'm having a WTF?!? Moment...
on Oct 24, 2012 at 12:00:18 am

Summary: Received footage from one of our partners. I know for a fact that this particular show is shot on VariCam, edited in MC, and finished on Symphony - All in 23.976.

When I received a tape from the dub house, I drop in the HDCAM and I see this pop-up on the display:

59Hz >>>>> 1080

Hmmm...

So I check the tape, and sure enough: it's been converted to 59.94... and I'm seeing any action footage pumped into FCP (through an AJA Kona 3) like this:

I have reason to believe that I can't work with this tape, but I thought I would come on here to ask before I try to extend deadlines and get new source.

Plus, anyone have any idea why you would convert 23.976 to 59.94? Is there any way that I can get a clean capture on this if this is what I'm seeing from the tape?

--
Phil Smith
There are no technical solutions to creative problems. Only creative solutions to technical problems.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: I'm having a WTF?!? Moment...
on Oct 24, 2012 at 3:22:34 pm

[Phil Smith] "Plus, anyone have any idea why you would convert 23.976 to 59.94? Is there any way that I can get a clean capture on this if this is what I'm seeing from the tape?"

Normally I only associate a 23.98 -->59.94 conversion as a broadcast deliverable. I hope that what you're seeing is normal 2:3 field cadence and not some other horrible field cadence that you won't be able to remove.

You will likely have to capture at 59.94, but if it has normal ABCD pulldown, that is fairly easy to deal with if not time consuming.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]