FORUMS: list search recent posts

Retina Display MacBook Pro vs. Standard MacBook Pro For Editing - Many Differences

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian Dillon
Retina Display MacBook Pro vs. Standard MacBook Pro For Editing - Many Differences
on Oct 23, 2012 at 9:03:11 pm

Hi Community,

I am a twenty year editor building a Mac laptop edit station and would like some suggestions from those of you who have dealt with these two very different machines; the Retina Display MacBook Pro and the Standard MacBook Pro. It seems that each has very different types and amounts of inputs meaning choosing the proper hard drive and display type/quantity quite daunting.

Here are the two options I am considering. Will I have problems with these configurations? Do you have any more suggestions?

Option #1
Retina Display MacBook Pro
2 x Cinema Displays
1 x Buffalo MiniStation Thuderbolt Drive for video($229)
Thunderbolt to FW800 adapter for my older drives

Option #2
Standard MacBook Pro
2 x Cinema Displays
Swap out internal optical drive for solid state drive and put operating system on it. Use original platter drive for video.

Thanks in advance!
Ian.

Mac Pro 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
8 GB Ram
Blackmagic Decklink Studio 2 Card

Playroom Creative
We are an Orange County Video Production and Marketing company.
http://www.PlayroomCreative.com

Return to posts index

Phil Smith
Re: Retina Display MacBook Pro vs. Standard MacBook Pro For Editing - Many Differences
on Oct 23, 2012 at 10:58:17 pm

I have used both of these solutions. My last laptop was a 15" Core i7 with 512GB SSD, (fully loaded). My newest machine is a 15" RMBP fully loaded (768GB flash, etc.)

I can tell you that both of them provided a very robust solution for editing. I did not have either laptop even hiccup, sneeze or freeze, unless I got into more than 4 streams of HD (I should note: All ProRes workflow for me), and even then - when I received my Pegasus R6 Thunderbolt chassis, sky was the limit.

Here's the rub: If you spend any time at all inside Adobe apps (planning on using Premiere, or if you develop any kind of comps with a few layers in After Effects), the GPU in the RMBP will give you a SIGNIFICANT speed boost because of it's NVIDIA Kepler architecture. Adobe apps wrap themselves around NVIDIA tighter than a terrified two-year old will wrap themselves around a parent's leg.

All that said: The RMBP would be my vote, it's fantastic so far. I am also using the following:
- AJA IO XT
- AJA T-TAP
- Field Use: LaCie Little Big Disk 2TB (Thunderbolt) - *only because G-Tech doesn't make mini RAIDs yet
- Sonnet Thunderbolt Echo Express Pro (for on location stuff with our Alexa gear)

Enjoy whatever you get, and good luck!

--
Phil Smith
There are no technical solutions to creative problems. Only creative solutions to technical problems.

Return to posts index

Ian Dillon
Re: Retina Display MacBook Pro vs. Standard MacBook Pro For Editing - Many Differences
on Oct 23, 2012 at 11:50:31 pm

Thanks for the info about the NVIDIA Kepler architecture in the Retina version. That is why I posted here, so I could get that kind of info! I do plan on moving to Premiere so that helps my decision slightly.
Since the Retina version doesn't have FW800 ports, have you found any limitations with the Thunderbolt to FW800 adapter?

Ian.

Mac Pro 2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
8 GB Ram
Blackmagic Decklink Studio 2 Card

Playroom Creative
We are an Orange County Video Production and Marketing company.
http://www.PlayroomCreative.com

Return to posts index

Phil Smith
on Oct 24, 2012 at 12:01:53 am

Not so far, every drive that I have tried is still powered over Thunderbolt to FW and runs like a champ.

I have, however - heard stories about people complaining that some drives don't work.

I use G-Tech, LaCie, and Verbatim HDs here, we've had no issues.

--
Phil Smith
There are no technical solutions to creative problems. Only creative solutions to technical problems.

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Oct 24, 2012 at 2:19:08 am

Hi Phil, just to confirm, you are on FCP7?

Return to posts index

Phil Smith
on Oct 24, 2012 at 2:24:53 am

Yes, I have it installed and I have used it for two end to end projects. It was fine.

BUT - since starting using Premiere CS6, I have basically switched. It's really good.

--
Phil Smith

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Oct 24, 2012 at 2:33:53 am

You did just what I was imagining I might need to do when I upgrade to the new MBP, switch to CS6. Thanks for the info.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]