Sequence settings question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Horton
Sequence settings question
on Oct 22, 2012 at 5:33:57 pm

Hello again.

Am I correct that:

When importing a new video file and dragging it into the timeline the sequence settings should be set to match the imported video first? I have just one video and one audio file that will be used in this project. The video file is from my Sony Bloggie and is: 1920x1080, H.264, 29.97, 48kHz. In settings, I entered the custom dimensions 1920x1080 with "Custom" in the dropdown field, was not sure what to choose in P.A.R. dropdown or field dominance, 29.97 timebase, H.264 compressor settings, 48kHz audio. Also wasn't sure if this dimension was Anamorphic. My audio file is 48kHz 16 bit. I guess my goal is not to have to render the video initially by having the correct sequence settings. But not sure if I'm just being hopeful. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Todd

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Sequence settings question
on Oct 22, 2012 at 7:20:44 pm

You are correct in that your sequence settings need to match your clip settings to avoid the need to render everything.
However as has been posted here on many threads H264 is not an editing format. FCP7 does not handle it very well and your system will quickly choke or cause you all kinds of hassle if you try to cut using this.
You need to first transcode it to ProRes. you can use Compressor or Mpeg Streamclip among other things to do this. Make sure you retain the frame size, frame rate and Audio sample rate. I would say Pro Res LT was fine for the Bloggie.
Once you have a ProRes LT file simply import it into FCP and drop a clip onto a new sequence.
FCP should ask you if you want your sequence settings to match your source clip. Say Yes.
You then don't need to set anything else up as your sequence and source will match. You should not have to further render unless you apply FX of course.

Hope that helps

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Todd Horton
on Oct 23, 2012 at 12:34:20 am

Thanks so much for your help!
Sorry that I didn't yet come across the all-important info about H.264. I'm new to video but an old pro audio engineer.
I don't see an option in MPEG Streamclip to export to ProRes or ProRes LT. In fact, I had never heard of that before your advice. When selecting export to Quicktime, it DOES NOT show under the compressor dropdown. I have poked around some more and read some of the other posts here. I am running an older version of FCP (5 I believe) so perhaps it did not come with that 422 codec? Not sure. Anyway, I need another option to convert my file to as I now understand Apple did not accommodate for cutting mp4 or H.264. Any other suggestion would be welcome.
Best,
Todd

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Oct 23, 2012 at 4:27:20 pm

[Todd Horton] "I am running an older version of FCP (5 I believe) so perhaps it did not come with that 422 codec?"

That's right, ProRes was introduced with the Final Cut Suite (version 6). You might try a DVCPro(HD) codec if you are unlikely to move onto a more recent version of FCP.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]