FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Sync Issues in FCP7 - Thought it was common, but maybe not...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Adamson
Audio Sync Issues in FCP7 - Thought it was common, but maybe not...
on Oct 21, 2012 at 10:15:23 am

Hi all,

So I figured audio sync issues would be a common thing in Final Cut 7 and from what I've seen, they are. However, my problem goes beyond my knowledge as it seems like a problem I should know how to fix, but I'm stuck.

So, I'm doing a multicam edit for a singer's new EP and I've just received the mastered songs. I've placed them under my edited sequences and synced them at the start. The thing is, once it gets to the end, the audio is only 1 frame shy of being in synced and looks awkward.

Now if I was working in something like 24fps or 30fps I'd immediately think, "Oh it's just 29.97 as opposed to 30", but I'm working with 25fps DSLR footage (converted to prores 422) and as far as I know, theres no alternative frame rate that would only make the audio go out of sync by one frame after 3 or so minutes. I did the whole export XML to check if the .wav file which contained the mastered song was using the correct timebase and it was: 25 fps.

So I'm stumped. It says they're the same timebase and they're still going out of sync. I'm highly reluctant to change the speed of the song as I feel any change to the song, no matter how small, would be undesirable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Audio Sync Issues in FCP7 - Thought it was common, but maybe not...
on Oct 21, 2012 at 10:49:15 am

Pick up the one frame by editing the picture to match. Somewhere in a three minute song, picking up one frame is surely easy. Treat the master audio as fixed.

One frame in three minutes can be best explained by accuracy of playback if it was a mime or if live, it is possible the audio record device was not sync locked to video and had poor internal crystal sync. If you do want to change master audio speed, it will be such a small percentage that it won't be noticed in tempo or pitch.

Return to posts index

Tim Adamson
Re: Audio Sync Issues in FCP7 - Thought it was common, but maybe not...
on Oct 22, 2012 at 2:26:44 am

Okay thanks a lot.

And I wasn't really thinking of whether the client would not notice the change to the song, it was more of just me thinking it's better not to do anything to it, regardless of how noticeable it was.

But I'm just a bit obsessive compulsive about stuff like that.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]