FORUMS: list search recent posts

C300 CF card data recovery for FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Huggins
C300 CF card data recovery for FCP
on Oct 20, 2012 at 4:45:17 pm

I'm editing a feature on FCP 6, and have run into a problem with some missing footage. One CF card was initialized in the C300 before it could be backed up.

If you've run into this before, and were able to recover the files, how did you deal with the missing folder structure? Did you go directly to the MXF files?

I used "Leawo Data Recovery Pro", which appears to have discovered all 30gb of of missing footage - but I can't seem to do anything with the MXF files. Canon's XF Utility program for FCp doesn't recognize anything without the folder structure, so that's a no go. Nothing reads them, not even MXF conversion programs. Are they corrupt? Am I inept? I think it's some combination of the two.

This is a crucial and unrepeatable scene, so any advice is appreciated.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: C300 CF card data recovery for FCP
on Oct 20, 2012 at 7:16:34 pm

[Gary Huggins] "If you've run into this before, and were able to recover the files, how did you deal with the missing folder structure? Did you go directly to the MXF files?"

I have run into this before. If the card was initialized, it corrupts a log of things. It doesn't just do what throwing something in the trash does, make that sector available...leaving the data there. Initializing does a form of formatting, and that will disrupt things. Yes, we had this issue, and no, we were not able to recover anything. Even the MXF files we got were partial and corrupted. I could see some of them with Calibrated MXF, but the audio was missing, and digital breakup happened on the clips.

We had to reshoot.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Harry Bromley-Davenport
on Oct 21, 2012 at 2:03:06 am

You say "any advice is appreciated", so try these guys. It will cost you nothing for a test:

http://aeroquartet.com/movierepair/pricing.

They have rescued stuff for me twice over the past 5 years.

Here's how it works:

You email them and explain your problem.

They email you back (very promptly) with a tiny little program which sniffs around your files and finds out what's wrong. You run the program and send the resulting file back to them.

If they can fix it, you pay. If not, there is no charge.

The guy's name is BenĂ´it.

You have nothing to lose.

Heartfelt best wishes to you - and please let me/us know if this works out for you. I was skeptical, but this guy got it done - and at a very reasonable price. They are in Spain but speak perfect English.

Harry.

Return to posts index

Gary Huggins
on Oct 21, 2012 at 4:15:23 pm

Thanks Harry, I'll give it a try.

Return to posts index

Jon Roemer
on Nov 15, 2012 at 5:32:23 am

Gary - Just curious if you had any luck recovering what was on the C300 CF card which had been re-initialized....

Just ran into the same problem.

Return to posts index

Gary Huggins
on Nov 15, 2012 at 12:32:00 pm

Jon - I had no luck recovering the footage on my own, but the data recovery place to which I ultimately sent the card was able to restore most of the footage, for an extremely hefty fee.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

oliver lukacs
on Nov 27, 2012 at 11:11:48 pm

Hey Gary,

I'm in a similar situation. I lost footage when my SanDisk memory card was reformatted or initialized inside the Canon c300 without getting backed up. I've managed to recover some MXF files from the card but I have no idea if they are the files I'm looking for because I have no way of accessing the MXF files. Could you please tell me who you went to to get your footage recovered?

-Oliver

Return to posts index

Gary Huggins
on Nov 28, 2012 at 4:57:41 pm

Oliver -

I couldn't find any consumer product able to recover the files and was forced to turn to a professional (and extremely expensive) recovery business. They found about 85% of the missing footage, for a very steep fee.

As for accessing the MXF files - VLC will play MXF files, so just drag them into VLC to check them.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

angelita cole
on Jan 17, 2014 at 12:36:28 am

What service did you use to recover your footage?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]