FORUMS: list search recent posts

Configuring sequence settings - 5D Mk II footage - FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rusty Cockrell
Configuring sequence settings - 5D Mk II footage - FCP 7
on Oct 19, 2012 at 6:11:23 pm

I've been editing for a little over a year in FCP 7 (or any software for that matter). I used to edit in the H.264 codec until I did some research on the ease of editing with ProRes and it has done wonders for me. However, I am having trouble understanding the configuration of sequence settings when using ProRes Mark II clips in a sequence.

When manually configuring sequence settings, I'm assuming I should set my fame size to 1920x1080. How about my aspect ratio? Should it be HDTV 1080i 16:9? Regarding the tab that says "editing timebase"...should I always set that to the frame rate the footage was shot in?

Would appreciate some seasoned insight. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Configuring sequence settings - 5D Mk II footage - FCP 7
on Oct 19, 2012 at 6:44:00 pm

Step one...convert the files to ProRes 422. Either download the EOS Log and Transfer plugin and use this method:

http://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless-workflow_fcp-7/1

Or use MPEG STREAMCLIP, or Magic Bullet GRINDER, or Compressor.

Then...just drop the first clip into the sequence and FCP will set it up for you. It will make the setting match the clip.

Yes, editing timebase is the frame rate you shot. But FCP will set this all up for you.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rusty Cockrell
Re: Configuring sequence settings - 5D Mk II footage - FCP 7
on Oct 22, 2012 at 5:26:10 pm

Thanks, Shane. Much appreciated. I normally work strictly with my own footage from my 5D. However, I recently had my first project with two different formats comprising of my own 5D footage and some from a video I downloaded and used some of the material for b-roll.

When I started that project, the first clip I dropped in the timeline was from the downloaded video which was 853x480. I chose "yes" to automatically conform the sequence settings (which I was oblivious to at the time). After two or three days I ran the final cut through compressor and it came out looking horrible. My 5D clips were squeezed and stretched and looked awful. My brother and I worked for hours on a remedy so we wouldn't have to re-do the entire thing and eventually got it to work.

I am assuming I should have begun with my 5D clips.

Again, thanks.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]