FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow for editing multiple audio tracks

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kyle Moore
Workflow for editing multiple audio tracks
on Oct 17, 2012 at 6:15:26 pm

Hello all,

Just here to seek some assistance/guidance on the best workflow for editing with several different audio tracks.

I use Pluraleyes, so synching isn't the issue. Once I have everything synced, do I just edit on the timeline with 8 to 10 audio tracks? Seems a little cumbersome. Is there a way to condense (nest?) all of the audio tracks into a single track? I know this is called a mono or stereo mixdown. How do I do that?

I just really don't want to start doing this the wrong way. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Workflow for editing multiple audio tracks
on Oct 17, 2012 at 6:46:10 pm

Well, if you need/want all the audio tracks, you will need to edit them all. And yes, editing can be cumbersome, especially when it comes to audio.

DO NOT NEST!!!!!

Nesting is evil, and will cause a LOT of issues with your sound mix. If you have a sound mixer who you'll be OMFing the audio to, nesting won't carry over all the tracks they need. And if you need to adjust one track and not the others in FCP...you can't. It's bad. DO not do it.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Kyle Moore
on Oct 17, 2012 at 7:21:11 pm

So basically this method means I'll have to keep all the media synced on the timeline and refer back to it to grab new takes?

Let me rephrase:

Normally when I edit I refer to media in the bins, double click, and find what I want in the viewer window. Then I drag it down to the timeline. But since I have so much audio synced up, I won't be able to put them back into bins. I'll have to keep it all on the timeline.

Is this correct? Or is there still a simpler way to do this?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 17, 2012 at 7:51:54 pm

Well, with Pluraleyes, and how things are stacked...you can't really do that. You have to change how you edit. You could load the sequence into the Viewer, but then you can't see all the video layers...or can you? If you can...then you just need to map OVERWRITE WITH SEQUENCE CONTENT and INSERT WITH SEQUENCE CONTENT to your F9 and F10 keys. Otherwise when you cut into the sequence things will nest, and that is bad.

If you can't see all the angles, then you need to have that sequence open, and then mark IN and OUT...make sure you highlight all the tracks, have them selected, and then COPY and PASTE into the master sequence.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on Oct 17, 2012 at 7:59:10 pm

Off topic Shane, but this is something that FCPX deals with very elegantly.

There is no simple way to do this in 7 Kyle, it's a pain.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 17, 2012 at 8:04:36 pm

I won't debate that FCX has the best multicam ability of any NLE. I agree that it does. But if you use Pluraleyes...you aren't taking advantage of that. Or does FCX do the same thing that Pluraleyes does? If so...it just got better.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on Oct 17, 2012 at 8:14:44 pm

Not to derail Kyles thread, but I have never needed to use Plural Eyes in X. And the great thing is that in the Inspector you have checkboxes for your various audio tracks, so turning them on and off is a breeze. This is all without going into Multicam, it's what's called a Synchronized Clip and you can have multiple channels of discrete audio synced to video.

It's a very cool and useful feature. So much so that now any dual system sound projects that come in, I just automatically cut in X.

Return to posts index

Kyle Moore
on Oct 17, 2012 at 9:44:58 pm

Thanks guys! This is all really helpful information.

So it sounds like Final Cut X will take care of a lot of problems... Sandeep you're saying that I'd be able to load in 10 tracks of audio and be able to make them all into Synchronized Clip? Does it appear as one stereo pair on the timeline but it really contains all the audio data?

Return to posts index

Sandeep Sajeev
on Oct 17, 2012 at 10:05:38 pm

Audio is visually linked to video by default in X. So when you cut a clip into the Timeline, you will see just one rectangle- the top half will show you a filmstrip and the lower half will show you the Audio Waveform. You need to 'Break Apart Clip Items' to break the clip into distinct Video and Audio Components. So if you have 10 tracks, you will see 1 Video clip (blue) and 10 or 20 Audio clips (depending on how many are Mono and how many are Stereo)

But this is totally customisable.For example if you have one instance of the clip at 10:02:00:00 that only uses 3 of your 10 channels, you can turn off the 7 channels that you don't need and they won't display on the timeline. It's non destructive though, so if you decide later that you want to activate another 2 channels, you just turn them on in the inspector and they show up in your timeline.

And you can do this differently for any instance of the Synchronized clip that you edit into the Timeline.

Plus you can always 'Unbreak Apart' (I've forgotten the actual name) whenever you want so you don't have to deal with moving around, editing over or otherwise affecting the audio clips unintentionally later.

So it's very powerful, very fast and very very functional.

A word of warning though, there are a lot of things that are different in X so if you don't have a decent level of competence with it, you may be better served just dealing with this in FCP 7.

But if you have a lot of this type of thing coming across your desk then you should probably spend some time messing around in X.

Return to posts index

Kyle Moore
on Oct 17, 2012 at 10:15:24 pm

Thanks again man! Yeah, I've never messed around with Final Cut X before so I might just stick with 7 for now. But I definitely would like to experiment so I know better next time.

Return to posts index

Kyle Moore
on Oct 17, 2012 at 9:49:49 pm

Shane,

thank you so much for this. I have a couple questions for you to elaborate on if you would.

I've got 8 audio tracks and only 1 track of video. Are you saying to drag the timeline (sequence) from the browser into the viewer? And what exactly do you mean by OVERWRITE WITH SEQUENCE CONTENT and INSERT WITH SEQUENCE CONTENT? I definitely don't want to mess around with nesting... I've heard bad things from you and others.

I guess I'm just asking you to explain (in greater detail) the two methods you mentioned earlier today.

Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

Matt Scholes
on Oct 24, 2012 at 11:35:23 am

I'm doing something similar to this. Is this of any help?

so for each video clip I sync it in the timeline, link the new audio to the video and then make all the clips 'independent clips' by right clicking and selecting that options.

Then I crate a bin in the browser called synced rushes and drag and drop the new synced clips with all the audio layers to that bin, where you can rename them, subclip them or do whatever you want.

However, this doesn't solve the problem of having to deal with editing 8 or however many audio tracks in the timeline, which is a right pain.

If you aren't willing to change you shouldn't be editing" - Richard Marks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]