FORUMS: list search recent posts

Create Custom Drop Zone

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
carlton hathcoat
Create Custom Drop Zone
on Oct 17, 2012 at 12:55:56 pm

Hello,

I have a unique editing issue where I need to create a custom Drop Zone in Motion or FCP. The client would like to have a jigsaw puzzle with 8 puzzle pieces with separate still images in four pieces and video in the other four pieces. I am able to create the four still pieces in Photoshop and animate them onto screen with keyframes in FCP, but I don't know how to create a way to make the other four pieces have video in them, thus I assume creating a drop zone in the puzzle pieces. Is there a way to create a custom Drop Zone in Motion in the puzzle piece that's been created? Or is there another option to have the video be inside the borders of each individual puzzle piece?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Create Custom Drop Zone
on Oct 17, 2012 at 3:51:26 pm

A cheat would be to map video to puzzle pieces that have a green screen surface, or to use a composite mode to "project" the video onto the pieces in the same shape. But it won't track like it's been printed on a real puzzle piece element if done that way. And you'd have to put each image on a hidden layer to go with each puzzle piece.

Stephen Smith will have a better answer to this in the Motion forum. But my guess is, you can make any closed-loop continuous curve shape a drop zone in Motion, and turn on the 3-d camera. Then when you want to change the source, it's just a drag and drop change in the template you've built.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Create Custom Drop Zone
on Oct 17, 2012 at 5:04:07 pm

Since you're halfway there in FCP, nest those other 4 pieces individually, before you animate them on. Within each nest, add a track above the puzzle piece. Place the video in that track. Right click in that video and choose composite mode>alpha matte. It should now be the shape of the puzzle piece below. Go back to your main sequence and animate the nested clip as you animated the first 4. Repeat the same steps for the remaining 3.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]