FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD to FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Makichuk
DVD to FCP
on Oct 16, 2012 at 6:07:21 pm

I need to edit (FCP7) a trailer from my 1980 feature and last time I got odd zebra fx on some cuts. That was 2011 on a re-released DVD letterbox. I will be editing to SD letterbox and about 3 min tops. Just curious what codec I should use as my previous experience had that zebra effect on the cuts. Not sure why.

Return to posts index

Jim Makichuk
Re: DVD to FCP
on Oct 16, 2012 at 6:16:15 pm

Just found info in browsing. Will check that first.

Return to posts index

Jim Makichuk
on Oct 16, 2012 at 6:19:56 pm

Okay, other dvd wasn't relative, sorry for the confusion. I use streamclip to load and it works fine. In 2011 I captured the entire movie 87 min and cut a 3 min trailer but it had those zebra-like effects only on the cuts. And it would change cuts indiscriminately. Weird.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 16, 2012 at 6:23:41 pm

Sorry, I'm not understanding what you mean by "zebra like effects." Can you post a screen shot of this?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 16, 2012 at 8:53:00 pm

I *think* I know what he means, and if I'm right, its an artifact you get when trying to do dissolves or wipes in the FCP timeline, using h.264 footage. I suggest exporting from streamclip to prores 422.

Return to posts index

Jim Makichuk
on Oct 16, 2012 at 9:09:15 pm

I seem to get it in cuts, will look at it right now and try to do a screenshot. thanks. But I'm wondering if I should just start over anyways...recapture whole movie.

Return to posts index

Jim Makichuk
on Oct 16, 2012 at 9:59:53 pm

Attached is a screenshot. These lines appear in the browser only. The timeline seems to have a single frame image between two clips (30-40% of time) but I can't find it in the timeline and some clips have a 1-2 sec freeze frame just before another clip.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 16, 2012 at 10:03:28 pm

Sorry, nothing was attached.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jim Makichuk
on Oct 16, 2012 at 10:08:08 pm

I loaded email twice but it isn't coming up. I uploaded it and it went somewhere. I'm more used to PC's which seem easier than here... on Mac command says I download to upload?

Return to posts index

Jim Makichuk
on Oct 16, 2012 at 10:53:39 pm

This is 7th attempt to download (or upload) screenshot. I cannot seem to figure out the secret, I download and upload all the time but this one is a mystery. I'm sorry to say I cannot up/download the screen shot. It goes somewhere I don't know.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 16, 2012 at 11:16:44 pm

There's a bunch of icons above the message box. One of them looks like a camera...sorta. Are you using that interface?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 17, 2012 at 12:24:24 am

THERE it is. You got it working on the Apple site:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4439576?tstart=0

Yeah...that's because of some wonky encoder. Try MPEG STREAMCLIP, rip it as DV50 or DV/NTSC (DV50 is better...also called DVCPRO 50). If that doesn't work, try DVDxDV.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jim Makichuk
on Oct 17, 2012 at 3:30:36 am

thanks Shane, it took 15 seconds to upload/download it in Apple. Still want to find out why it didn't here... I always have problems on this site, no record of past posts, etc... figured it had to do with encoding. Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Jim Makichuk
on Oct 18, 2012 at 9:03:56 pm

Shane...

Used streamclip again and DV50 and it worked perfectly. Editing a new version. Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]