FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best workflow for Color Grading.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eddie Singleton
Best workflow for Color Grading.
on Oct 16, 2012 at 5:55:07 pm

I'm editing a feature film and would like to know the best workflow for FCP and Color. Currently my workflow is to transcode Canon 7D into pro ress 422 and then edit the scene. I then apply Neat Video to timeline to remove any grain in the sequence and then batch export individual self contain movie clips so the Neat Video is baked into the footage. Next step import the clips with the Cleaned footage then reassemble my clips on the timeline to be exported to Apple Color. Also when I import the clips I don't have any handles for transitions. Is there a way that I can relink the Neat Video Footage within my timeline without having to physically manually re edit my timeline sequence. Is there a way to add handles without going into the timeline and manually adding handles. Again this is a feature film and I'm trying to cut down time, because this process would take forever. I wish Neat Video just made a plug in for Apple Color. I know there are other color grading software such as Davinci resolve and Lustre..etc, however right now Color is my only option. If any one has a solution please help. BTW I'm using a Mac 2.66 Quad Core, memory 12GB, 8tb Stardom Raid, if this is any help.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Best workflow for Color Grading.
on Oct 16, 2012 at 6:21:15 pm

Why not send to color...grade...send back, THEN apply the neat video filter and render? Do that last. Then you get your handles.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Eddie Singleton
on Oct 16, 2012 at 6:36:23 pm

Shane thanks for getting back with me. I was reading an article from the DVX user forum. Basically the article said that it's better to have neat video baked into the footage to maximize the color grading process. I have attached the link so you can check out the article I read. After you read the article and if you feel that this process doesn't really make a big difference please let me know because your theory would cut down a lot of time and headaches.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?248673-Technicolor-CinemaStyle-Bes...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 16, 2012 at 9:05:30 pm

Well, if you apply the filter, and export a self contained file, and reimport that...why would you need handles? Your transitions are baked in too. So why you would need handles after you bring that file back to FCP makes no sense. And there is no way to get handles on exported video like that.

Just export an EDL and import the EDL and exported file into Color or Resolve and it will chop up the file at the cut points.

Or apply the filter after. There is far too much emphasis put on "every ounce of quality" that I'm sick of it. Those ounces will be hardly noticed most of the time.

Do a test. Add the Neat video...export..import. Send to color...grade, send back. Then do it where you send to color, send back, then apply the filter.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Eddie Singleton
on Oct 18, 2012 at 4:11:04 pm

Got it thank you for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]