FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting my Canon 7D clips into ProRes increases the size x 3

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glen Jennings
Converting my Canon 7D clips into ProRes increases the size x 3
on Oct 16, 2012 at 3:52:02 pm

In order to edit smoothly in FCP I need to convert my Canon 7D footage-which renders to disk as h.264 into, supposedly, Pro Res. Every time I do this however my file size increase 3 times as large. I can't do that and I don't see how having gigantic files like that is going to make my workflow any better.

Can someone give me an exact file type to export my clips?

They are 720p 59.94 fps h.264 from a Canon 7D

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
Re: Converting my Canon 7D clips into ProRes increases the size x 3
on Oct 16, 2012 at 4:00:47 pm

Welcome to Final Cut! Yup, you need to convert everything to ProRes for a smooth workflow. Otherwise, go out and buy Adobe Premier and edit natively.

You need multiple hard drives, 1-2 TB ea. to handle a lot of media. I have 4 - 1 TB drives. I also use an external docking station to make back-up copies of my original files.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Glen Jennings
on Oct 16, 2012 at 4:55:23 pm

RE: Otherwise, go out and buy Adobe Premier and edit natively.

So are you saying that if I edit in Adobe Premiere I would have this problem with h264 stuttering and chugging (and won't have to make all these huge PRO RES files?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 16, 2012 at 5:47:34 pm

Well, I would suggest FCP X over Premiere (spell it right people) for h264 on a mac. Especially if you're on such a budget that ProRess 422 files are so big that you can't up for a terabyte or two of external FW800 storage. It also has quite a bit of nice built in features and transitions and templates that CS6 just lacks.

But X has a learning curve. And it requires certain hardware. 2011 ivy bridge for it to shine. MacPros don't do it justice oddly. X ties into OpenCL and sandy bridge. CS6 requires hefty processor cards too for much of its performance.

Return to posts index

Eric Strand
on Oct 16, 2012 at 4:04:03 pm

You want to use ProRes like you're already doing. You could also use ProRes LT if you have FCP 7. The larger file sizes are coming from the fact that ProRes has a much higher bit rate than the H.264's that the 7D records to. The reason your transcoding the clips to ProRes is that ProRes is much easier to edit with. Additionally, it takes less work for the CPU to process and play your ProRes video than to play the H.264s.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]