FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing the empty during timecode dropouts? ei. free running capture?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johnathan Throbins
Capturing the empty during timecode dropouts? ei. free running capture?
on Oct 16, 2012 at 6:01:15 am

I'm doing some analogue effects that require bouncing HD over to a VHS and back as SD. Some of the effects cause timecode dropouts and when I capture in FCP it omits the dead space of the dropouts throwing my timing off by several frames each time.
I don't need perfect timecode, but I do need the footage to come out roughly the same length as when it went in. I don't mind bumping it over a few frames, but as it is it's way too much work to cut up and realign.

I'm wondering if there's a way to get FCP (or anything for that matter) to freerun record even if it just fills the nothing with black (ideal).

At the moment I'm capturing with canopus ADVC110 analogue digital converter on a mac pro osx10.6.8 FCP7

Any help would be much appreciated, I understand if no one knows though. I know it's a weird request... I didn't have any luck googling the idea. lol.

Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Capturing the empty during timecode dropouts? ei. free running capture?
on Oct 16, 2012 at 2:48:23 pm

Please reveal the frame rates of the things involved in your workflow: original footage, FCP edit timeline, VHS deck, capture card settings.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Johnathan Throbins
on Oct 16, 2012 at 5:25:25 pm

All are 29.97. Starting with prores 1080, dslr footage but outputting in SD anamorphic. It's not a framerate conversion issue or I would fix the framerate or just change the speed. The effects I'm doing are...not traditional. I'm causing signal damage to get a "bad tv" effect more or less. The previous VCR automatically stopped recording at low signal points and I'd get less than half of my footage back, but I got a nicer vcr that would keep rolling, so now it plays back full length, but the computer still has some of the more major dropouts missing. It's when certain things happen visually that it's suddenly off a few frames and I have to put a cut point and shift it.
So alternatively if there's a way to just splice in enough signal that the dropouts disappear without changing my picture noticeably, that could work too?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 16, 2012 at 5:44:02 pm

Thanks for the clarification. I don't think you need to go to all that trouble.

Got After Effects? Properly used, it can degrade video in a hurry. Motion will do it too, I bet. I wouldn't be surprised if there are plugins for FCP that accomplish a similar thing as well.

Long story short: save yourself some grief. Analyze the look your after, and do it all with software.

Dave LaRonde
Former Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Johnathan Throbins
on Oct 16, 2012 at 8:06:41 pm

I have all those things,I prefer this though. It seems like there should be SOME way to get it to record regardless, no? hmmm...

Well thanks for the thoughts, in any case.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]